landlord signing a new lease during my lease term

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryscoll

My landlord and I are currently in a battle of who is right and who is wrong. It is looking like we may be going to court. Before I get an attorney I wanted to ask a question. Can my landlord sign a new lease with a new tenant during my lease term. My lease is up June 31 and he is going to sign a lease for either June 1 or June 13. If he does this does it mean that he will be breaking my lease? Does that also mean that I would no longer be legally responsible for May or June rent because he signed a lease while he already had a current lease? Please help, really needing some advice. Thanks.

Had you expressed a desire to move early and break your lease?

Why else would the landlord sign a new lease prior to the expiration of your present lease?

He cannot force you out prior to your lease as long as your rent is up to date and there are no other adverse issues. Even if there wre issues, he would need to follow the proper eviction procedures within your jurisdiction.

May or June rent because he signed a lease while he already had a current lease
If it was your intent to leave prior to June 31st and the landlord has a signed lease to fill in upon your departure, he cannot expect to have you pay. He may not collect double rent for a month. You would still be responsible for the May rent.

I suggest you discuss and clarify this all with your landlord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back