Landlord signed lease with new tenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandtbryant

Hi, could use some advise...

With our landlords permission we broke our lease. A new tenant signed a lease and was to move in after we left. We found out they never moved in and they were trying to find another tenant. When we asked our deposit they refused. We even explained that they had thirty days to notify us if they were keeping our deposit and never did. And besides that wouldn't the new lease void ours? (We have a copy of that signed lease.)

And then to top it off, two and a half months after moving out they sent us a letter from a lawyer saying we owe them $1675 for a month's unpaid rent, agent's fees, and the difference in rent between ours ($800/m) and the new rent ($775).

Any advise is appreciated. I just don't understand it all. My understanding would be that the people who now have a lease with them, despite breaking the lease and never moving in, would now be responsible... Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Tammy

When you say that you received permission from your landlord to break the lease, what were the specifics of this? Did they approve this break with the assumption that you'd owe rent until a new tenant was found to replace you?

What state do you live in?

Gail

Thanks Gail, :)
We lived in Florida. Yes, we received permission as long as new tenants were found and we would have to pay rent until found. And when you say we've received excellent advise... :) which set are you referring to?
Thanks,
Tammy

I was also wondering if anyone could tell me more about this:

"Some statutes require the landlord to pay double or triple the deposit amount if he or she does not return the deposit or send a satisfactory notice of deductions within the time required by state law." -FreeAdvice

Is Florida included in this? Or can we go after interest? I has been over 90 days since we left the apartment. It's getting a little ridiculous.

And to top it off... We have come to believe that the letter we recieved from their lawyer is a fake. Could they get in trouble for that?

Thank You!!

JETX told you the correct advice.

I've attached information on the Florida landlord/tenant laws that may help you...

http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/landlord-tenant-law/florida-landlord-tenant-law-state.html

Florida does not appear to have the statute that allows the tenant to sue for double or triple the amount of their security deposit should the landlord fail to return this (or provide notification) within the time period required by this state.

However, because they did not notify you in time, they also cannot claim the deposit for things like damages or what they believe is owed rent.

I'd follow through with what JETX suggested.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back