landlord selling the house what are my rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofodexy

I'm a tenant but my landlord and I didn't make a written agreement. In the month of April I paid half of my rent on the 3 of the month and I was going to pay my other half at the end of the month. My landlord has the house paid off but when I'm late she charges me 4 different late fees all $40 each. She also refuses to pay for the broken water pump and the house has no water, but is running off the neighbors well pump. On the 29 of April I received a letter from her saying that because I refused to pay her on time every month and didn't even pay her the month of April she is forced to sell the house and I had until May 15 to do so. Is what she's doing legal and if she sells the house how long does she have to get me to move out?

As a nonpaying tenant there is a process to go through to remove you. There is also a process for "new" owner to get you to leave if they do not wish to be landlords or dont wish for you to be tenant. Both require notice of actions like "pay rent or quit" or "notice to vacate" You can find info on both at link below

http://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html

I'm a tenant but my landlord and I didn't make a written agreement. In the month of April I paid half of my rent on the 3 of the month and I was going to pay my other half at the end of the month. My landlord has the house paid off but when I'm late she charges me 4 different late fees all $40 each. She also refuses to pay for the broken water pump and the house has no water, but is running off the neighbors well pump. On the 29 of April I received a letter from her saying that because I refused to pay her on time every month and didn't even pay her the month of April she is forced to sell the house and I had until May 15 to do so. Is what she's doing legal and if she sells the house how long does she have to get me to move out?
I've never heard of four different late fees nor that an owner is selling a home because the tenant is a few days late with the monthly rent. It sounds like an excuse.

With regard to your lack of water, you should have been entitled to an abatement of the rent. This doesn't mean you didn't have to pay rent but, if there is a significant time period where there is no water, you might be entitled to a significant deduction.

Move out date: In virtually all states there is a minimum of one payment period notice, e.g. if you pay once a month you have a month to month agreement which requires 30 days notice (which is sometimes up to 60 days.) Florida is something of an exception and seems to require 15 days. Here is the statute which I'll discuss below:

Florida Statutes CHAPTER 83

83.57 Termination of tenancy without specific term. A tenancy without a specific duration, as
defined in s. 83.46(2) or (3), may be terminated by either party giving written notice in the manner
provided in s. 83.56(4), as follows:
(1) When the tenancy is from year to year, by giving not less than 60 days' notice prior to
the end of any annual period;
(2) When the tenancy is from quarter to quarter, by giving not less than 30 days' notice
prior to the end of any quarterly period;
(3) When the tenancy is from month to month, by giving not less than 15 days' notice prior
to the end of any monthly period; and

(4) When the tenancy is from week to week, by giving not less than 7 days' notice prior to
the end of any weekly period.

This would seem to mean that the 15 day period started on May 1 so the notice provision would seem to be in order (assuming the notice requirements are met.) However, the eviction process takes time and doesn't just happen overnight. I am not telling you what to do -- chances are that if you stayed until the end of the month, nothing adverse would happen. I don't know if you have a security deposit with the landlord but I'm guessing that if you leave, perhaps even on time, you may not see it again. If your landlord decides to take you to court, it would probably not be wise given the water pump being out for such a long period of time. If it was me, I would take pictures or gather some evidence before leaving. Do note that if you do holdover after the termination period, it is at your risk and you could be potentially liable for damages. If the house really was sold and a new owner was intending to move in, it's difficult to say what those damages might be.

Just my thoughts without seeing your paperwork or knowing more about your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back