Rent, Utilities Landlord running electric well pump on adjoining property from my elec

Status
Not open for further replies.

1WOOLY

I discovered resently that for the past 3 and one half years my landlord has been topping off his pond (approx. 1/2 acres) on the property adjoining the one i'm renting with a electric deep well pump with electricity supplied my electric meter. Yes, that's right, the electric meter is in my name and i pay for all the electricity that is used through the meter. He never declared such setup and i thought the two (2) pvc lines leaving the meter pole going underground were coming to the large house that i rent, but they are not. One is suppling my house and the other is suppling his always full pond.

Is this stealing elctricity?

I discovered resently that for the past 3 and one half years my landlord has been topping off his pond (approx. 1/2 acres) on the property adjoining the one i'm renting with a electric deep well pump with electricity supplied my electric meter. Yes, that's right, the electric meter is in my name and i pay for all the electricity that is used through the meter. He never declared such setup and i thought the two (2) pvc lines leaving the meter pole going underground were coming to the large house that i rent, but they are not. One is suppling my house and the other is suppling his always full pond.

Is this stealing elctricity?

Of course it's stealing. What's confusing about the picture you painted. Even an old dummy like me knew right away what you posted. You described a diabolical, evil electric thief.

Bet he never even thanked you, either.

I would bit say it is stealing. The setup may even be inadvertent. You have a civil complaint against your landlord, not a criminal one.
Determine what your loss is and ask your landlord for reimbursement. If he refuses to pay consider your option to be heard in civil court but be prepared to show evidence of actual losses.
You can contact the electric company and see about having the pump taken off your meter, then you can compare the meter change over time to determine your loss.
As you do all this, expect the landlord to get angry and find a reason to evict you.

I definitely agree this is stealing. I would pursue as mightymoose suggested. The only thing though, as he noted, the landlord is most likely not going to be too happy with you & may give you problems or evict you.

If you have a lease, consult it. Otherwise your ability to protest or recover might be limited as there is not a lease protecting against the status quo of the property you accepted as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back