Landlord retaliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancleg

Been having issues with my landlord, and I hope I can explain this well. I live in a mobile home park, and we're currently about 2-3 months behind on rent (own the home, rent the lot) due to unemployment and unexpected bills. My landlord lets people slide on it as long we let him know what's going on (which I did, and there are others much further behind). So, here's the REAL problem:
Over the winter, we had septic pipe problems and the plumber said the pipes in the ground were cracked. They've been an issue since we moved in, and the previous landlord who sold the place about 2 years ago new about it. I told the landlord and he said he'd have it fixed once it was warmer out. In August, I sent him a letter with the rent check reminding him of the pipes and a sinkhole we talked to him about (also was to be fixed by previous landlord), and he never responded (but cashed the check). Now that the ground is going to be freezing soon, I figured those better be fixed and sent him another letter, and included a couple very minor things I thought of as well. I told him I expected to hear from him within 1 week. He was here today, and claimed he had never been told about the pipes before now (even though my hubby also talked to him more than once about it).

I had my dog on a rope/chain thing outside and he was barking the whole time. The landlord asked me several times if the dog was vicious (he's not...he's a big baby that just talks a lot) and kept saying "he looks vicious to me"...he's a big, FLUFFY mixed breed.

I was very polite, hardly said a word to the landlord besides explaining the pipes. Once he finished looking at things, he says "you're awful demanding for someone late on rent" "You say here you want a response by the 12th, I want the rent by the 10th or you're out" "I should kick you and Lobster-face (I'm guessing my neighbor?) both out of here". As he's getting closer to my dog, he says "I have half a mind to give you a 5 day notice to get rid of this vicious dog". My response was that he's not vicious and he should be more concerned with the pitbulls a couple doors down (first thing I thought of...I like pits, but these owners are iffy). Along with the pits we have a Terrier-type dog that almost bit my hubby that gets loose A LOT, and a German Shepard in the park...and he's worried about my dog!

So, I know it's illegal for him to even threaten to evict me as a result of me asking for repairs. And I'm sure the dog issue is also retaliation, but I don't think that one's illegal. My questions are...is it still retaliation if he has a valid reason to evict (like late rent)? If a landlord is kicking out a dog, does it have to go through court or is there any way to get it there (I've got lots of people who would testify my dog's not vicious AND there is no proof he is)

Sorry this is so long...still pretty upset. Any feedback is appreciated!

Been having issues with my landlord, and I hope I can explain this well. I live in a mobile home park, and we're currently about 2-3 months behind on rent (own the home, rent the lot) due to unemployment and unexpected bills. My landlord lets people slide on it as long we let him know what's going on (which I did, and there are others much further behind). So, here's the REAL problem:
Over the winter, we had septic pipe problems and the plumber said the pipes in the ground were cracked. They've been an issue since we moved in, and the previous landlord who sold the place about 2 years ago new about it. I told the landlord and he said he'd have it fixed once it was warmer out. In August, I sent him a letter with the rent check reminding him of the pipes and a sinkhole we talked to him about (also was to be fixed by previous landlord), and he never responded (but cashed the check). Now that the ground is going to be freezing soon, I figured those better be fixed and sent him another letter, and included a couple very minor things I thought of as well. I told him I expected to hear from him within 1 week. He was here today, and claimed he had never been told about the pipes before now (even though my hubby also talked to him more than once about it).

I had my dog on a rope/chain thing outside and he was barking the whole time. The landlord asked me several times if the dog was vicious (he's not...he's a big baby that just talks a lot) and kept saying "he looks vicious to me"...he's a big, FLUFFY mixed breed.

I was very polite, hardly said a word to the landlord besides explaining the pipes. Once he finished looking at things, he says "you're awful demanding for someone late on rent" "You say here you want a response by the 12th, I want the rent by the 10th or you're out" "I should kick you and Lobster-face (I'm guessing my neighbor?) both out of here". As he's getting closer to my dog, he says "I have half a mind to give you a 5 day notice to get rid of this vicious dog". My response was that he's not vicious and he should be more concerned with the pitbulls a couple doors down (first thing I thought of...I like pits, but these owners are iffy). Along with the pits we have a Terrier-type dog that almost bit my hubby that gets loose A LOT, and a German Shepard in the park...and he's worried about my dog!

So, I know it's illegal for him to even threaten to evict me as a result of me asking for repairs. And I'm sure the dog issue is also retaliation, but I don't think that one's illegal. My questions are...is it still retaliation if he has a valid reason to evict (like late rent)? If a landlord is kicking out a dog, does it have to go through court or is there any way to get it there (I've got lots of people who would testify my dog's not vicious AND there is no proof he is)

Sorry this is so long...still pretty upset. Any feedback is appreciated!

If your park allows dogs and your dog is on the leash and not causing problems then you should have nothing to worry about on that end. the guy sounds like a lazy bum who wants his money on time but does not want to keep the park up. I would'nt worry about the dog issue and I would try to get as much as the rent as possible then make him fix the stuff. call the news and or the county/city on his lazy but. good luck

Thanks for the input. He's calmed down now, and has scheduled all of the repairs. As far as the rent, he just wants a payment plan worked out, and my mom also suggested offering to do some odd jobs since he seems so overworked (hehe...get on his good side). No more mention of the dog, and if there is, I've already got a couple neighbors and several friends to defend my boy. He's always on a leash outside. We're going to work on the rent, and as long as he plays nice so will we :). But if he pulls this bs again....I'm contacting LOTS of places!

Thanks for the input. He's calmed down now, and has scheduled all of the repairs. As far as the rent, he just wants a payment plan worked out, and my mom also suggested offering to do some odd jobs since he seems so overworked (hehe...get on his good side). No more mention of the dog, and if there is, I've already got a couple neighbors and several friends to defend my boy. He's always on a leash outside. We're going to work on the rent, and as long as he plays nice so will we :). But if he pulls this bs again....I'm contacting LOTS of places!

Good idea and a great way to work off some of the past rent. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back