Cleaning, Repairs landlord repairs

rentingproblems

We are college students and rent a house. the upstairs shower tiles are broken and the shower is starting to leak into our roomates closet downstairs. The landlord said he could take 200.00 off our next rent and told us to get it fixed. I do believe it will cost more to fix. he will not communicate with our parents and only will speak to us. He is very unwilling to fix things in the house like AC and Heating. Oh and for some reason when we are in the shower and turn it on we get zapped by something that feels like electricity. How do we get him to pay for repairs to his house that we rent. We have already taken our own time and cleaned up the weeds and trash in and around the property when we arrived here. We also cut the grass and maintain a nice clean exterior for our neighbors who have thanked us for cleaning up the place.
Please Advise

If the lease is in your name and you are over 18 there is no reason for the landlord to talk to Mommy and Daddy at all. You are adults and the party to the rental contract. Certainly you can ask your parents for advice but you must fight your own battles now. Have you gotten an estimate for the repairs? Start there. I would get at least 3. Or get yourself down the Home Depot on a Saturday and sign up for one of their classes in tile installation. Your choice. If the repairs are necessary due to conditions you caused, you very well may be liable for the damage. What does you lease say about repairs/damage/HVAC? Most will spell this out.

I take a bit of a different view on this...

1. Send a WRITTEN notice to your landlord regarding both the broken shower tile business and the electrical zapping concern. State you'd like the repair addressed within a certain time period. List the time period.

2. If no success, contact your local Code Enforcement regarding these issues.

New Jersey is a very tenant friendly state.

And as for the grass cutting....typically tenants who rent a house are responsible for the yard work.

Gail

Back