Landlord needs money and is trying to use me to get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin732

I am a disabiled married female that was living in NJ in May of last year,I moved because I became severly disabled in August of 2006 and knew that I had to move because I would not make enough money on disability to pay the up coming rent increase in June '07. So, I told my landlord (both in emails and verbaly) that I would not be renewing the lease and that I would be moving in mid may before the lease ran out. He did not tall me that I could not leave and I told him that I would be using my deposit for Mays rent and that was all that I would owe him. But 4 months after I moved out of the state, he is trying to sue be in NJ court for rent owed and damages that he claims he has on the carpet that I did not do.

I am under a doctors supervision (cardiologist) and have a letter stating that I can not travel because I am on blood thinners that could kill me if not monitored on a daily basis.

I need to know can the landlord really make me come over 500 miles back to NJ to fight this case even if I can prove that the landlord lied to the court in his filing of the case?

Last edited:
I am a disabiled married female that was living in NJ in May of last year,I moved because I became severly disabled in August of 2006 and knew that I had to move because I would not make enough money on disability to pay the up coming rent increase in June '07. So, I told my landlord (both in emails and verbaly) that I would not be renewing the lease and that I would be moving in mid may before the lease ran out. He did not tall me that I could not leave and I told him that I would be using my deposit for Mays rent and that was all that I would owe him. But 4 months after I moved out of the state, he is trying to sue be in NJ court for rent owed and damages that he claims he has on the carpet that I did not do.

I am under a doctors supervision (cardiologist) and have a letter stating that I can not travel because I am on blood thinners that could kill me if not monitored on a daily basis.

I need to know can the landlord really make me come over 500 miles back to NJ to fight this case even if I can prove that the landlord lied to the court in his filing of the case?
He can although you can reply by mail with your defense and making a motion to dismiss the case. You can attach your evidence - copies of your emails which show a clear notification to terminate your lease. You may have other remedies and perhaps, if you can get someone to review the details of your case, can suggest specifics as to what to do. You can probably also make a request for adjournment of the case from the court as well.

Thank you for the advice, I thought that adjurnment on the grounds that the major perons involved in the case (the person that we did business with) was totally left out of the suit, we made a motion to adjurn of the basis of this being a "Frivolous Case" and for "Joinder of Persons Needed for Just Adjudication" of the case. I am now waiting to see what happens next.

Thanks again, I'm sure I will be needing further help with this as I dont thing the landlors will want to let this go.

robin732:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back