Landlord filing lawsuit over "damages"

mamasobo14

Jurisdiction
Missouri
My previous landlord told us that we had to pay him over $2,000 for damages on the property. He had to replace carpet and paint a few of the rooms. We started moving 1 week after they did their semi-yearly inspections of the home. His partner the lawyer stated that everything looked fine but to scrub down the walls. We were then told that he wanted all of our stuff out of the property by September 10. We started moving stuff into our new place on the 28th of August which was also when we gave a 30 day notice. He called on the 8th and asked us to get everything out by the 10th. So we only had 2 days to finish moving all of our stuff and to start cleaning. We did not have child care and my husband was busy trying to find work on top of being almost 2 hours away from our old place. We moved all of our stuff out but we did not clean the property due to the strict time limit we were put under. Now mind you we were inspected on the 25th of August I want to say. Never said their was "damages" to anything. He then called us the day he took back the property cursing at us saying numerous things were wrong with the property he had just inspected less than a month prior. He has since charged us with replacing the carpet in EVERY room instead of where just needed. Also charged us with painting the ENTIRE inside of the home instead of the room that needed painted. Also for the labor etc. We offered to do all the work. The painting, the carpet replacement etc. and he refused. We have paid him $1,700 of the $2,250 owed I believe. Is it possible to us to get sued for the remaining balance on this or should we fight this is court and try to get some of our money back? I'm at a loss here and he was threatening to file a lawsuit by March 1 if we didn't pay the balance in full. We could not afford to do so.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. I would hope it's obvious that it's possible for your landlord to sue you, and we're in no position to assess the merits of the competing claims of you and your landlord.

Sounds to me like you've been swindled.
How long after you moved did the landlord present you with this bill?
If you disagree with it why have you paid so much?

Back