landlord charging for their own labor

Status
Not open for further replies.

naumand

my landlord is taking us to small claims court. Here is an itemization of charges she is hoping to recover (note her father is a co-owner):

- My time and labor – 54 hours cleaning and working on the house, including moving your stuff around, moving the stuff you left out of the house, taking your left behind items to Goodwill, removing all the items you left of the patio, removing the multiple strands of lights strung from the deck and trees (this included having to climb into the trees.)
- My father's labor – 12 hours working on repairs at the house
- Labor of a friend of mine who helped for 5 hours with hauling to good will, cleaning, and repairs.
- The cleaning of the curtains on the first floor which were badly stained with cat urine (since I was able to wash them successfully myself)
- Damage to the deck – when you painted you left wet paint rollers on the deck which resulted in dried paint imprints of the rollers on the deck that will have to be cleaned off and the seal replaced – however, since the deck has some other areas that are in bad shape the whole thing needs to be cleaned and resealed and you will not be charged for the part you damaged.
- I had to change my flight to have more time to work on the house since you were not out completely until the afternoon of the 5th – This cost me $269.80.
- I had to replace 6 halogen lights, 2 round bulbs, and 3 standard bulbs, as well as the batteries in the smoke detectors and the carbon monoxide detectors. Tenants are expected to deal with these items if they occur when they live in the rental.
- Handle was broken off the steam shower – but my father was able to spend some time to fix it.
- There was a lot of patching of holes and repainting that go well beyond standard wear and tear, I have included the final bill (this appears to be an estimate) from the painter so you can see how much the repainting cost and that it was well beyond a standard touch up job.
- The multiple trips that I had to make back and forth because of the amount of work that needed to be done – which included ferry rides and gas.
- Additional 7-8 hours spent getting together all the information needed to complete this list.

Under Washington state law, can she charge for her (and the other co-owner's) labor?

my landlord is taking us to small claims court. Here is an itemization of charges she is hoping to recover (note her father is a co-owner):

- My time and labor – 54 hours cleaning and working on the house, including moving your stuff around, moving the stuff you left out of the house, taking your left behind items to Goodwill, removing all the items you left of the patio, removing the multiple strands of lights strung from the deck and trees (this included having to climb into the trees.)
- My father's labor – 12 hours working on repairs at the house
- Labor of a friend of mine who helped for 5 hours with hauling to good will, cleaning, and repairs.
- The cleaning of the curtains on the first floor which were badly stained with cat urine (since I was able to wash them successfully myself)
- Damage to the deck – when you painted you left wet paint rollers on the deck which resulted in dried paint imprints of the rollers on the deck that will have to be cleaned off and the seal replaced – however, since the deck has some other areas that are in bad shape the whole thing needs to be cleaned and resealed and you will not be charged for the part you damaged.
- I had to change my flight to have more time to work on the house since you were not out completely until the afternoon of the 5th – This cost me $269.80.
- I had to replace 6 halogen lights, 2 round bulbs, and 3 standard bulbs, as well as the batteries in the smoke detectors and the carbon monoxide detectors. Tenants are expected to deal with these items if they occur when they live in the rental.
- Handle was broken off the steam shower – but my father was able to spend some time to fix it.
- There was a lot of patching of holes and repainting that go well beyond standard wear and tear, I have included the final bill (this appears to be an estimate) from the painter so you can see how much the repainting cost and that it was well beyond a standard touch up job.
- The multiple trips that I had to make back and forth because of the amount of work that needed to be done – which included ferry rides and gas.
- Additional 7-8 hours spent getting together all the information needed to complete this list.

Under Washington state law, can she charge for her (and the other co-owner's) labor?

She can sue for reasonable repairs, parts, and labor.

She'll have to prove you caused the damage, and she'll have to prove that something took 6 hours and not 2 hours.

Ultimately a judge will decide, and that's your job to defend against her accusations and offer PROOF 9not just words) to the contrary.

I hope you did a walk through with her present, or at least took pictures or video of the unit AS you departed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back