Landlord Change Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiTuba

On December 29th we got a call from our landlord saying that our rent checks should now be sent and made out to another person. (Their son.) He bought the house from his parents. The age is 70's for the parents and probably late 40's/early 50's for the son.

We currently live in Somerville, MA and our lease, with our original landlord, runs out the end of August. My question is - since the landlord has changed, we haven't received any written notice of such, and the check is now made out to a different individual at a different address, is our current lease still binding?

My wife and I have wanted to move for quite sometime now because of various repairs and other issues that have not been taken care of. We thought that with the change of ownership a new lease would have to be signed for the remainder of our lease period. Right now we have a lease signed by our previous landlord that no longer owns the house.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

MiTuba

The lease should speak to a change in ownership. In general, when property is sold, the new owner inherits the tenancy, your lease. You are likely obligated to complete your lease term.

MiTuba said:
On December 29th we got a call from our landlord saying that our rent checks should now be sent and made out to another person. (Their son.) He bought the house from his parents. The age is 70's for the parents and probably late 40's/early 50's for the son.

We currently live in Somerville, MA and our lease, with our original landlord, runs out the end of August. My question is - since the landlord has changed, we haven't received any written notice of such, and the check is now made out to a different individual at a different address, is our current lease still binding?

My wife and I have wanted to move for quite sometime now because of various repairs and other issues that have not been taken care of. We thought that with the change of ownership a new lease would have to be signed for the remainder of our lease period. Right now we have a lease signed by our previous landlord that no longer owns the house.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

MiTuba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back