Landlord bullying tenants, what do we do now..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC11

I am a rent controlled tenant (51+ years at this location) living in NYC (28 Unit Apt Building).

We have been having problems with the landlord ranging from rent issues, maintaining the common areas, and tenant harassment.

The landlord recently started renovations replacing common area walls, installation of new apt entry doors, and installation of a new intercom system.

Common Area work was begun without proper notice to tenants resulting in major chaos from the debris.

Additionally, installation of apt entry doors was started and the work being performed was sub-standard.

The tenants filed a complaint with DHCR and the landlord upon receiving notice of said complaint had his field agent approach certain tenants individually and demanded that they sign a statement rescinding their participation in the above mentioned complaint.

They all refused his request and the landlord's agent made threats such as "I don't think you will be getting a new door then" .

Landlord has since replaced the original workers and work is now being done properly in the Common Areas of the building.

Individual apt upgrades are being done (landlord still refuses to give proper notice to tenants).

Basically workers are sent to apt units unexpectedly and demand access to do the work.

Example: The contractor installing the intercom system came unexpectedly on a Sunday demanding access.

Many tenants are elderly and retired and grant them access either out of fear or ignorance of their tenant rights requiring proper notice.

Doing the work in this fashion has made the update process painfully slow as many other tenants are still employed or unavailable when workers are sent to do the work.

Work has slowly progressed to the point where about five units are still awaiting installation of new doors, and or intercom system.

It is no small coincidence that these tenants just happen to be:

• Rent Controlled (Some living at this location for 50 years +)
  • Where listed in the complaint(s) against the landlord on various issues
I am one of the tenants still awaiting both upgrades and as the acting tenant representative on the recent complaints I am sure I am being singled out by the landlord.

I have received verbal threats from the landlord's field agent in the past such as:
"We are going to teach you a lesson" and "You are going to get yours..."

Certified letters sent to the landlord stating my desire to have these upgrades done and inquiring as to why I have never been contacted to schedule access go unanswered.

Additionally, since sending these inquiries to the landlord they have sped up the work in the common areas (new sheetrock surrounding tenant apt entry doors) so it is obvious they do not intend to change the remaining doors.

Here are my questions at this point:

• What is the legal standard as far as required notice for access to tenant apt units for upgrades?

• Is it legal to "Cherry Pick" who will get such upgrades in the building?
    Note: Building never had an intercom system before and one is being installed at the direct request by all tenants.

• How do we proceed at this point?

Please advise ASAP...

1. Typically one has to give at least 24 hours notice in cases of non-emergency repairs.

2. The landlord/management can certainly decide who gets the repairs done first. You can't "force" them to move you up on the list when repairs/remodeling involve all tenants and units.

You're arguing two different issues here. If you push the issue that a 24 hour notice MUST be given before entering a property, this is likely to mean it will take even longer for you to get yours done.

Gail

1. Typically one has to give at least 24 hours notice in cases of non-emergency repairs.

2. The landlord/management can certainly decide who gets the repairs done first. You can't "force" them to move you up on the list when repairs/remodeling involve all tenants and units.

You're arguing two different issues here. If you push the issue that a 24 hour notice MUST be given before entering a property, this is likely to mean it will take even longer for you to get yours done.

Gail

With all due respect I do not think you clearly understand the situation.

1. These are not repairs being done but service upgrades that will result in an increase in rent after the landlord files the paperwork as a Major Capitol Improvement to the property.

2. It is not a matter of trying to get work done in our units faster, it's the fact that all surrounding units have been done and the landlord is refusing to do upgrades to our units at all...

3. Landlord is bullying elderly tenants with threats and intimidation.

4. Landlord has knocked heads with tenants for the past four years and is now retaliating against tenants for reporting unsafe & illegal actions by said landlord.

So go back to the Division of Housing and Community Renewal and complain that five of the units have not gotten the same upgrade as the others.

You do wish the upgrade, correct?

Gail

So go back to the Division of Housing and Community Renewal and complain that five of the units have not gotten the same upgrade as the others.

You do wish the upgrade, correct?

Gail

Well here lies the problem.

Yes, we do want the upgrades but according to DHCR they cannot force him to do the upgrades and all they can do is see that we are not charged for them.

This sounds ridiculous to me that they will allow the very person(s) that campaigned for the upgrade(s) to be excluded once the landlord agrees to install them but that is what the DHCR rep said.

Well here lies the problem.

Yes, we do want the upgrades but according to DHCR they cannot force him to do the upgrades and all they can do is see that we are not charged for them.

This sounds ridiculous to me that they will allow the very person(s) that campaigned for the upgrade(s) to be excluded once the landlord agrees to install them but that is what the DHCR rep said.

You answered your own question.

The DHCR representative has rendered their decision.

If you disagree with it, you can move or take the landlord to court.

I don't see you prevailing in a court case, because I see no damages or cause of action.

So you can stay or you can move.

But, hiring an attorney (or doing a pro se action) is always available to any of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back