Breaking a Lease Landlord breeching the lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tgeric88

To say it plainly
I waited 5 months to move into the apartment I'm in because they changed management. A couple of days pior to me moving in I signed all the paper work and gave 6 of my current paystubs. 5 out of those 6 stubs had my old pay rate. The sixth one listed my new pay rate. No one said a thing. I was approved handed the keys and I moved in. That was the forth of October of this year. Four days later I was told I had to leave because I made to much, and that this complex has income restrictions. They knew how much I made before I move in. Th e head manager said I could stay the remaining two weeks of this month and that she would give me my money back. She breech the contract and thinks thats ok. Can I sue and what would I get?

They can ask you to leave, but if you refuse they will have to evict you.
If they show that you falsified your income on the application they might win an eviction. I realize you didn't really falsify, but your pay did change and you did not openly disclose it. It seems you just hoped they would not notice.
You do not want an eviction on your record. It will make it harder to rent anywhere else. Do yourself a favor and start looking for a new place. Work with the landlord to buy a little time so you can find a place, and maybe they will kick in a little extra to help with moving costs to get you out early.
You do not have to be out in 2 weeks. If you remain then expect them to begin an eviction which would take a month or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back