Landlord assuming visitor lives with me..pending eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuzzinhunter

Hi. I rent a mobile home lot in a mobile home community. I have a friend who is relocating here from the state of Georgia, and I have agreed to let him and his family visit with me for a few weeks until he can find a place to live. He is already employed here in Ohio. My friend and his family have been staying with me for 6 days now. Today I received a letter from the manager of the mobile home park stating I had a family living with me that was not on my lease agreement, and that I had 3 days to remove them or an eviction would be filed. The letterr is dated 7/15/05, the date listed for eviction to be filed is 7/18/05/. The management also sent the same letter to another mobile home park tenant, assuming my friends were also living there, why I don't know.. My neighbor's letter is dated 7/15/05, but her letter gave her until 7/23/05 to have the visitors out.. (They weren't staying there anyway).. What is the law regarding overnight visitors who are staying for any length of time? My friends are not moving in with me. They are not paying any rent. They do not receive mail here. Their car has a Georgia license plate.They are merely visiting while they are looking for a place to live..This scares me if it is legal for a landlord to do this. I have many out of state family members, and I shudder to think I could be evicted if I ask them to come visit me and stay at my home instead of a hotel..

More info....

I also forgot to mention that this park also rents mobile homes. My friend talked to the landlord about renting one of the mnay empty ones in the park, of which there are many. He was told none were available, but if they put in a rental application and paid $15 for a "credit check" they might find them something, if approved...Seems they want you to submit an application and pay $15 before they will even show you a potential unit....which you may or not want upon seeing it...but either way you've paid $15, non refundable, by the way...Is this legal??

Hm, this guy is strange, it surely is unusual not to show a prospective tenant the unit first. But it is not illegal. It only might be illegal if the guys would be discriminated against by reason of race, gender etc etc.

Now, the other question depends first on what your rental agreement says: does it allow visitors, for how long, how many people maximum etc.

It probably is illegal to bar you totally from having visitors staying over, but a landlord can put a limit on the duration of the stay and the number of people at the same time.

So check your rental agreement or CC&Rs first for what is provided in them.

Hm, then the law in Ohio should be checked. Since I have no idea how the law in Ohio treats this, I cannot help you here. If this guy is serious about the eviction you probably should consult an attorney about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back