Land owner protection

Philbert

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hi, I am trying to find out if a land owner can be held liable for something that happens on a rental property that is rented by an LLC or non profit. I'm trying to protect the land owner without having to involve the land owner in the process. The idea would be to protect the land owner from liability for personal injury or property damage that occurs on the property. Thanks for any help.

I am trying to find out if a land owner can be held liable for something that happens on a rental property that is rented by an LLC or non profit.

It's not likely but it's not beyond the realm of theoretical possibility.

I'm trying to protect the land owner without having to involve the land owner in the process.

What are you, an elf making shoes at night to surprise him in the morning? How would you not involve him in the process?

The idea would be to protect the land owner from liability for personal injury or property damage that occurs on the property.

The best way he can protect himself is to buy liability insurance. Even if he is ultimately not liable for anything, the cost of defending a lawsuit could put him the the poorhouse and bankruptcy where he ends up having to sell the land to pay his lawyer.

Liability insurance is the answer. Only fools think that there is some way of getting around that.

I am trying to find out if a land owner can be held liable for something that happens on a rental property that is rented by an LLC or non profit.

"Something that happens"? Like what? A drug deal? A murder? An alien abduction? A car accident? The answer to the question, as phrased, is yes, but the question is too vague to permit a meaningful response. For starters, when you say that the property "is rented by an LLC or non profit," what do you mean? Does the entity own the property and rents it to someone else? Does the entity rent the property from someone else?

I'm trying to protect the land owner without having to involve the land owner in the process.

Why? What is your relationship to the land owner, and why is it your place to provide him/her/it with protection? Why do you want to do it without the land owner's involvement?

The idea would be to protect the land owner from liability for personal injury or property damage that occurs on the property.

The land owner should look into obtaining insurance. Also, what does the rental agreement say about the tenant's indemnity obligations to the landlord?

Back