L Visa L-1b Visa - How to Re-Enter the States After Termination of Employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

triva

hi, i'm voluntary terminating my employment after 1.5 years of my L-1b visa here in New York. i'm planning to do a trip around the united states, straight after, for about two and half months but want to make sure i won't be here illegally.

i know my L1 status will terminate as soon as i stop working. what is the best solution for me in order to be able to stay in the US for two more months?
can i go back to my country (italy) after termination of my employment and come back straight away as a tourist (using the visa waiver program) so to be able to avail of the three months period?

please let me know!!

ps. What happens if I'm here for a more than the grace period? Will I not be able to come back to US for 10 years?

I know that there are grace periods but not nearly such a long time for a trip. My recollection is that there is a 10 day grace period for which you have time to apply to change status for an H1-B. In your situation I don't know for sure but I would guess the same length of time will provide no problems (after all, nobody expects you to leave in 10 minutes.) But a 2-3 month tour around the country? I don't think so. Times are tough and employment is very difficult. I'd think twice about terminating employment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back