Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant "Knock and Talk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisy13

Hello, I have been living with one of my friends for about 7 months now. Over the summer, while I was on vacation, my roommate was visited by 2 undercover police officers. They revealed themselves, had a talk with her about her spotless criminal record, and said they were there because of a complaint about marijuana smell in the hallway. She revealed that she had some marijuana, a scale, paraphernalia, and a bong. They took everything except for the bong, saying that they didn't want neighbors to seem them walking out of the apartment when the bong. They told my roommate that there would be no paper trail, and that no one would know about the incident. 2 weeks later, one of the police officers called my roommate, asking her if she knew someone who was selling marijuana. That was 3 months ago, and today she recieved an email from University Police saying that she needs to attend a counseling session regarding the her incident with the University Police.
So my questions are the following...
Are they monitoring my actions too? Am I liable for any possession that she faces?
Does this seem legit?? To me, the police officer is just telling her there will be no paper-trail just so she won't be suspicious. It seems to me like they will be back.
We don't answer the door when anyone knocks, and we are constantly worried that the cop will be back and she will get into big trouble, what should we do?

Are they monitoring my actions too?
That is anyone's guess. I imagine they have made some inquiry into your criminal history (if any), but I can only speculate about their "monitoring" you in any way.

Am I liable for any possession that she faces?
Possibly. Was the dope in a common area? Can it be argued that you had knowledge and access to the dope or any other contraband? If so, then you could potentially join her in any trouble she gets in to.

Does this seem legit??
Sure. Why not?

To me, the police officer is just telling her there will be no paper-trail just so she won't be suspicious.
Maybe. He also could have lied to her. He has to book the evidence/contraband in at the station, so there is SOME kind of paper trail. Perhaps they are hoping to use her for information. They do not have to make a crime report out of it, and that's probably what the officer meant by a "paper trail".

We don't answer the door when anyone knocks, and we are constantly worried that the cop will be back and she will get into big trouble, what should we do?
Stop smoking or holding dope, to start.

After that, your choice is to either keep running scared and paranoid, or, cooperate and get it over with.

- Carl

I wish I could delete this...

Last edited:
interaction with the authorities

My attorney has given me the following advice regarding statements made and questions asked by the authorities.

Our keepers of the law and order are under no legal obligation to tell the truth or in any way held accountable for the statement made to us "perps". Always keep this fact in mind.

If stopped by the local authorities you need to be able to ID yourself otherwise you may get a ride downtown so they can determine who you are.

If they start asking questions about what you are doing or where you are going or whatever - politely ask if you are under arrest or or being detained. If not, go about your lawful activity or business.

For the safety of yourself and everyone present, they may need to "pat" you down to check for any weapons. Anything object on your person that might be a threat will need to be examined.

If you are informed that you are under arrest then you will most likely need to empty your pockets and/or your purse.

The correct reply to any and all of their questions is to politely and respectfully apologize to your interrogator and state that your attorney has instructed you to wait until he or she is present before you can respond to any of their inquiries.

If you are not under arrest, then the police may not search your person or auto without "probable cause". If they asked you to consent to a search - respectfully apologize and repeat the same statement about your attorney being present before you can consent to any search.

If asked what you are afraid they'll find, you respectfully apologize saying how you wish you could cooperate but your damn lawyer insists on being around and neither you nor the officers wanna piss off your attorney cuz he can be one ugly %$#^%! :yes:

Always remember that it is not in your best interest to interact with the authorities without your legal advisor being present. That's why our Bill of Right's is so important and the authorities know that, too.:angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back