Just signed a lease but want to cancel it

I just signed a lease on an apartment in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I paid a broker fee, security deposit, 1st month's rent, and last month's rent.
I have not moved into the apartment as yet.
I would like to cancel the lease.
None of the utilities have been switched over, my address has not been updated.
All I have at the moment is a signed lease.
How can I cancel the lease?

I just signed a lease on an apartment in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I paid a broker fee, security deposit, 1st month's rent, and last month's rent.
I have not moved into the apartment as yet.
I would like to cancel the lease.
None of the utilities have been switched over, my address has not been updated.
All I have at the moment is a signed lease.
How can I cancel the lease?
Did you call the LL to see if s/he is willing to void/cancel the lease? Would you please define "just signed"...today? Yesterday? Last week? When were you to move in?

I just signed the lease less than 5 days ago. It is a 16-month lease, not a 12-month lease. The landlord wanted to carry the lease over to such a time that it becomes easier for him to re-rent the place since September is a big renting month for the city of Cambridge.
The start date of the lease was 15th April.
The apartment is empty, I have not moved anything into it.

You'll need to ask the landlord. It's up to him and he has no obligation to let you out of the lease. You may have to buy your way out. Otherwise you're stuck with it unless you just want to walk away and let him use your money to cover the time it takes him to find another tenant.

Back