judgment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia

Guidance on the collection of a judgment.

I have a judgment from Civil Court of which I am trying to collect and have recorded on the individuals credit file, unfortunately, I have not been successful. Following is a list of questions I have, or if there is any other guidance you can provide, I would greatly appreciate it.

- Individual moved from the address I originally filed judgment against, how do I get that address changed on the judgment?
- Through subpoenas for information from the individuals employers, I discovered that this individual has two social security numbers of which he is actively using. Who should I report this to? I already advised the IRS.
- Now that I have the judgment, how can I collect? He is self-employed and has no assets?
- How do I get this judgment recorded against his social security numbers? I wrote to all the credit bureaus and provided them with copies of the judgment but they responded they couldn't modify the individuals personal credit information.
- Since I received the judgment, I have not done anything with it besides acquiring the subpoenas for information. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have the individuals current address although not his employers name for he is self-employed as an independent consultant therefore, I cannot garnish his wages. Although, I do have the name of his corporation. Is there any way I can tack onto that corporation and how can I get information on the corporation ?

Thank you,

Alicia

1) A restraining order is your best friend. A subpoena may alert the defendant that you have found an asset. You want to send an information subpoena with a restraining order.

2) You can garnish the defendants' wages. You don't necessarily need to change the address of the defendant if it was his/her address at the time. It is merely a current or previous address. You have enough to provide sufficient information for garnishment or other purposes.

3) File the judgments (creating a lien) with the County Clerk. They will tell you what you will have to do with regard to filing in the state so that a lien search will reveal that this individual has liens on him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back