judgment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia

Thank you for the information you provided to my last question.

I am still trying to garnish this individuals wages. Unfortunately, I do not know where he works. According to the Civil Court, they do not have any jurisdiction over Social Security so although I have both his ss #'s, Social Security does not have to provide me with information on where he works.

According to the Sheriff's office, all they can do is serve him but without my knowing where he works (he doesn't have any assets and doesn't own a bank account, does everything via money orders) there won't be much they can do.

Besides having to hire a Private Investigator to follow him and find out where he works, is there anything else you advise I can do. The judgment is for $15K and well worth my pursuing this further.

Any further guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Alicia

You should probably send an information subpoena and restrainer order to local banks. They'll freeze his account if he has any. You should also send him an information subpoena and he is required to answer. If not, a contempt order can be obtained.

There are investigative agencies that do bank account location for only a few hundred dollars. It may be worth it.

If you have a Judgement "in hand", we can conduct a Bank Search Nationwide. In addition, we have sources to locate Employment. Probably, cheaper than you expect. Most searches are No Hit/ No Fee. That means if we find nothing, you pay nothing.

Banks... $250 per bank found

Employment....$100/ $200 depending on Subject.

Hello, I am back with some additional questions on judgment and an update.

I was able to find the debtors place of employment. Unfortunately, the system is terrible and it takes the Sheriff at least 6 months to serve the employer so that his wages may be garnished.

In the interim, I have been negotiating a payment plan with the debtor, he claims he doesn't want to be embarrassed at his new place of employ. I understand that the highest percentage that can be garnished is 15%. As part of the negotiations, I am requesting he provide me with a notarized letter indicating to his employer at the time that his wages can be garnished up to 25% for payment to me against the judgment.

This I am requesting so that if he changes place of employment I won't have to go through the Sheriff again and have to wait another six months before his wages can be garnished. My question is, would this document, I am requesting, be honored by his employer at the time? If not, is there anything I can do or get from him that would insure immediate garnish of his wages whenever he changes place of employ?

Also, if he changes employer, how soon do I have to wait before an investigator can find out where he works? Does the PI only know upon social security reporting which is quarterly?

Your advice to date is most appreciated and has been of extreme help.

Thank you,

Alicia

Is there a way that I can place a lien on the debtors social security number, since I have a judgment, so that I can receive his tax refund when he files?

Thank you,

Alicia

I was wondering if you got a response to your question about placing a lien on an SSNumber in order to collect on the tax return. I have a similar situation and am very intested in the responses.

Thanks

No, the Law Professor has not responded as of yet.

The question is:

Is there a way that I can put a lien against a social security number with a judgment from the Civil Court? Similar to child support arrears, I would like to know if I can claim against his tax returns and if so how?

Please advise.

Thank you,

Alicia

I think I understand what you want to do. You can file a judgment in the county which issued the judgment and it will get picked up in the state liens database (like on Lexis.) In order to obtain a lien on property, my understanding is that in most jurisdictions it must be filed seperately.

What do you mean by "claim against tax returns?" A tax return is not an asset. I'm not sure what "collect on a tax return" means either.

Yes, you are correct a tax return isn't an asset but I was wondering if there is a way to place a lien against the returns. Eg. When he files his taxes, since I have a judgment against him, the refund due him will be sent to the court for payment to me. Same as they due on child support arrears.

Would this be possible? If so, how do I go about it. When you file the judgment in court, they don't require a social security number!

Thank you,

Alicia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back