Judgemt attachment effect on Joint Accounts with New not involved Spouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom103

Looking for some further clarification on theses question...rephraised from earlier

I'm in Georgia

Two Items: I have a medical judgement which was attained prior to my current marriage. If they were to agressively attempt collection (I am paying a token payument monthly to hopefully keep them from doing that and will be oping conversation soon to try to negociate a settlement) Can they attach or otherwise touch our "Joint" checking, our home which is also "Joint" or our Cars which are also "Joint"? If so, what should I do to try to protect our assetts while attempting to work with this?

I have past due federal taxes which I have a payment plan in place and is current. My current spouse is not inviolved with this at all and this was in place prior to knowing her. I'm not sure if I will be able to pay it off at this pace prior to dying. At that time would they have access to joint assetts such as the home, cars, bank accounts, life insurance with her as beneficiary, personal property, etc? Or not, because of (as I may have heard), Survivorship laws?

Joint accounts are presumed to be 50% owned by each of the joint account holders. They can get frozen. Let me ask you this - why not negotiate a settlement instead of having these people after your assets indefinitely? Are you hoping that the debt will just vanish if you keep playing the game long enough? If you pass away (hopefully not for a while) then eventually the collector will collect against your estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back