Judgement

Thebigguy

Jurisdiction
New York
I have a judgement from 2014 in NYC from housing court. The debt collectors are trying to collect the money now in 2017. I bought a car for $2000 , 2 years ago . Can they take the car from me . I need it to look for work

I have a judgement from 2014 in NYC from housing court. The debt collectors are trying to collect the money now in 2017. I bought a car for $2000 , 2 years ago . Can they take the car from me . I need it to look for work

Most of your everyday items, personal items are exempt from levy or atatchment to satisfy a civil judgment.

Here' the portion that answers your question, but read the rest of it, to ensure you can protect your other stuff, or at least know that you can exempt certain possessions:
In perhaps the most significant addition, one motor vehicle has been added to the list of exemptions in unencumbered value up to $4,000, or up to $10,000 if the vehicle has been equipped for use by a disabled debtor (this exemption does not apply if debt is for child or other support, or if the collector is the State, its agencies or municipal corporations 1 ); and

$1,000 exemption was added for personal property, bank account or cash that can be claimed if no homestead exemption is taken.
>>>
>>>

You can see for yourself, and ow you go about asserting your exemptions:
What is Exempt from Debt Collection? - New Economy Project
///
///
New York State's "Exemptions" are Increased
///
///

Back