Judgement

amilley

Right now my husband and I are trying to buy our first home..we got preapproved for an FHA loan but notice a judgment on my husband for a motorcycle dating back to March 2005 online (the Suffolk county clerks webpage) it doesn't show that it was redocketed...as it still only shows the date issued March 2005...Does this mean that it won't show up upon title search? Could it still have been renewed? I called the county clerks office and they said judgments are good for 20 years but an attorney said it needs to be redocketed...if it wasn't good anymore would it still show up on the clerks website?

If the judgment wasn't renewed properly, it'll likely harm you ability to get approved for most mortgages, or receive good rates when you do anyway.

If it has been renewed properly, no doubt that will impact any mortgage financing.

I suggest you discuss the matter with your real estate agent, the proposed lender, or your real estate attorney. It's not a good idea to buy real estate without hiring your own real estate lawyer.

Last edited:
Back