Joint owner w right of survivorship, how does debt impact>

Status
Not open for further replies.

aciess

When my live-in partner and I separated we created a separation agreement to deal with our property since we were not married. We are in our 70's and health was a factor. My partner does not expect to live more than a few years.

We drew up a legal agreement that he would have the use of our real property (deeded as joint owners with right of survivorship) and it would become my solely-owned property in three years if he survived that long. If he died before that, it would become my solely owned property by right of survivorship. We also put the vehicles he uses in both our names, and drew up an agreement that all the property he has the use of (including merchandise belonging to his business) was jointly owned by us with right of survivorship, and would become my solely-owned property in three years if he survived until that date. No bank accounts, cash or credit cards are included in our agreement.

If he survives past the date we set, he will have the right to continue to use the property and pay me an agreed-on rent for its use. Our agreement is a friendly one, as we remain friends despite our separation.

Our concern now is that he has run up a credit card debt of close to $80,000 - a combination of horrendous economic conditions affecting his business, and health expenses not covered by insurance. My question is two-fold:
1. If he is unable to continue paying on his credit cards, can the banks place leins on our jointly owned property?
2. If he dies before the 3-year date leaving the debt unpaid, will all our jointly owned property pass immediately to my ownership, or will the banks be able to place any kind of claim on the property (real and/or personal)?

An additional concern - We have not yet considered debt consolidation or bankruptcy. Should we do that?

1) Yes. Most likely, they cannot lien your interest in the property, but they can lien his interest in the property - up to half of its total value. (They might be able to lien your half if it was given to you in order to defeat his creditors or some other such fraudulent purpose. It doesn't sound like that's the case.)

2) is kind of tricky. Has he pledged any of the property to secure the debt? If not, I suspect any claim to it the creditors' might have is extinguished when it passes to you by right of survivorship.

Thank you for the response. He hasn't pledged any of the property to secure the debt.

I'm wondering if the opinion you've given applies to the vehicles etc (non real property) the same as to the deeded property. Specifically, the non-registered items, e.g. merchandise and furnishings, for which we have our written agreement stating that they are jointly owned with right of survivorship, but no deed or title. This may be off topic for a real estate forum but I didn't want to double post the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back