Joint Accounts and Estates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adverse

I am co-Executor of my mother's estate, the other co-executor being the VP and trust officer at the bank in her home town.

Prior to setting up the estate, the attorney for the estate had a discussion with me about "judgement-proofing" (his phrase) the assets. In that he meant setting aside the funds held in joints accounts, accounts held in both mine and my mother's name.

Now the other co-executor is asking whether these are really jointly owned funds or if the accounts were joint just for convenience, for me to assist her with her finances. That, in fact, IS the case, as I had POA to assist her the last 3 months of her life.

I'm not greedy, I just find it foolish giving away money that doesn't have to be given away. After my Mom's 84 years, there's not much to be given away!

In a specific example, my mother had been a victim of check fraud. The bank set up a new account (joint) and closed the old one. But when the Fraud department got done, they would not put the money being returned into the new account (because of the different ownership), so it now sits in the closed account in just my Mother's name.

So, is it now proper to ask if joint accounts were really joint accounts? It makes a big difference in what's available to pay debts and so forth.

Joint Accounts

I'm not sure exactly what the other executor has in mind. If the accounts were in both your names the entire amount is now yours. It doesn't matter whether you contributed to the accounts or not.

The only situation I have ever come across is where the joint account holder removed the money immediately prior to death and placed it in their personal account. The laws in some states will make them return this money to the estate.

Thanks.

I have since pushed the attorney for the estate on this issue, linking to several legal publications and cases from the applicable State, all taking a position the same as mine, and he has told me to go ahead and transfer the funds to the new joint account.

Tomorrow will be the day to see if that will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back