Issues with a car

Status
Not open for further replies.

rspagan

Ok the situation is couple yrs ago my mom and I agreed I would take her old car off her hands so I had a car to get around as she was getting a new one. The agreement was that everything was staying in her name for insurance and tag, I was to pay $5000 for the car but due to low funds and raising a child I had to pay $3500 with that years income tax return and which I did, then when I was able to pay the remaining $1500 off to do so. Now the problem is we had a fight over some petty things and she is trying to act like the car is hers and is threatening to take the car away if I don't follow her demands.

My question is is there any way with out a written contract or a receipt for the payment is there any way I can prevent her from taking the car or return the money if she does.

Don't let her take it. Be sure to park it on your property and not on the street, and when you park it, pop the hood and disconnect the ignition coil.
Start communicating via email with mom. Remind her what the original deal was and that verbal contracts are enforceable (well sort of). Anyway- get her into an email conversation in which she will unwittingly acknowledge the agreement you made. With that you will have some substance as to what the agreement was if you should later end up in court with mom.
Anyway- do what you can to start making at least small payments to mom and she may back down. In the mean time, don't make it easy for her to take the car when you stop to tie your shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back