Consumer Law, Warranties Issue with water company

Status
Not open for further replies.

ideasjh

In June of this year United Water replaced my water meter without my knowledge. A month later I get a bill for the amount I usually pay in a whole year. When I call UW they say the meter was replaced because of age. They admit that they haven't followed procedures for the replacement but also let me know that they DO NOT have to tell me they are changing the meter.
They also go on to ask me if there hasn't been any sprinkler system installed, pool, if there has been any leaks, etc .... by the way this is a 500 sqft apt with a faucet in the kitchen, one in the bathroom and a shower.
They offer to 'test' the meter that was taken out.
A few days later they call to tell me that the meter had been working good and I was still liable for the bill.
As a 'courtesy' for the unprofessional procedure they offer to give me a 20% discount of the bill, which I though was a joke.
I forget to follow up with the matter and get my water shut off.
They turn it back on after a $50 payment.
Called BPU to file a complaint. They go to UW and ask what occurred and get the same answer. (Seems like their are working together)
While I'm trying to set a payment plan in order to not get my water shut off I receive the sewer bill with the same issue (sewer bill is based off the consumption of water so they only go for what UW provides them).
I'm kind of lost on what action can be taken to request a third party to get involved or should I try to sue UW for not following adequate procedures?

Your best bet when working with any utility is to report the matter to the state agency that oversees them.
If the supplier is contracted to a municipality, township, or county government; report it to your local elected government official, council, or governing body.

Some will pay under protest, just to keep the service active, and seek a refund through the reporting process.

Suing, without a lawyer, is often a frustrating, useless endeavor.

It sounds like an error in the conversion expense between your final reading/estimated reading on the old meter and/or reconciliation with the new meter reading. I suggest you request their numbers.

I did contact the Board of Public Utilities which is the state agency that oversees them.
The only thing they did was ask United Water to 'test' the old water meter again (obviously UW came back with the same version) and set me up on a payment plan.
But then again it all comes down to the same source and at this point my point is how accurate was the reading when the meter was removed.
United Water claims that the reading was accurate but their employee/contractor is the only one that saw it.
At no point was there a third party involved to verify readings and they did not give me the chance to verify it either (they sent me a letter about a month later that the meter was going to be replaced)

UW told me the reading was accurate.
At this point I can even discuss anything with them as the only thing they tell me is I have to pay because the BPU ruled that I don't have a case.

Our city did an admirable job of upgrading their meters. Including giving the homeowner a copy and chance to verify old meter readings. They expected the cost to be offset by a 14% increase in revenue. The net effect, even after they sold dump truck loads of old brass meters, was collections went down so they had to raise water rates to cover the new meters.

I wish they had done that here as well. I would of been satisfied verifying that the meter had the reading they claim.
Was never given the chance.
I have had a consistent usage for 10 years.
After the issue, readings are back to normal following the 10 year pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back