is Walgreens violating a HIPPA?

Jurisdiction
Nevada
The Walgreens near my place has implemented a policy in the pharmacy where they will not give anyone who purchases insulin syringes a bag. They are forced to walk through the entire store with a box clearly showing what's inside and causing extreme discomfort to the individuals that have to purchase them. They will bag anything and everything else at the pharmacy but force people to walk out and feel like everyone is judging them like they are a junkie. Is this legal?

The Walgreens near my place has implemented a policy in the pharmacy where they will not give anyone who purchases insulin syringes a bag. They are forced to walk through the entire store with a box clearly showing what's inside and causing extreme discomfort to the individuals that have to purchase them. They will bag anything and everything else at the pharmacy but force people to walk out and feel like everyone is judging them like they are a junkie. Is this legal?

It's not a violation of HIPAA as the pharmacist is not disclosing your personal heath information (PHI) to others. Once the pharmacist or pharmacy tech hands you the box, what others see while you walk through the store is up to you. Put the box in one of the hand baskets in the store until you are ready to leave, or bring your own cloth shopping bag to put your prescriptions in that. The latter is what I do at my Walgreens for my pharmacy purchases (and all other stuff I buy as my state imposes an extra fee if I use one of their bags and my store has no carts or hand baskets for shoppers to use).

Did you ask why they won't give you a bag? If so, what was the reasoning?

Have you considered switching to another pharmacy?

Back