Is this sublease contract null and void?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emi852006

Hi there,
I'm having a problem and was hoping someone could help me out here.
I'm subleting my place due to the loss of my job, I can't afford to pay for it anymore. So I found someone to take on the lease and offered them $100 for every months rent taken on ($300 for 3 months) and I would give him my last months rent so he could use it as his last months; so $700, that would make a total of $1000. We wrote up a contract and agreed that I would let him move into the apartment on the 17th of June and he would sign the lease for the 1st of July. While I was going through my rental agreement(my lease) I found that it said that I was not allowed to let anyone other then the people on the lease live in this apartment for the time period the lease was for, and if I did I would be reposinble for damages and could have action taken against me by the owner of the building.

My question is, is my contract with the person im subleting to, void, due to it being unlawful? I mean in tenants laws and my tenant agreement it says I am not allowed to rent out the place to anyone else. So does this mean this contract is null and void? I do not want to get taken to small claims court or in trouble with my landlord for doing something I'm not supposed to, but I also don't want to be taken to small claims court by the guy in subleasing to for the amount I told him I'd give him and the contract. So is it void?

Just in case it might help here is the contract we wrote ourselves:

June 1st 2006
The agreement is to sublease (take over) the lease for [Building's Adress] from July 1st, 2006 to October 31st 2006. [His name] will be moving in June 17th but the existing tenant will have paid the rent for the month of June and will apply the deposit(last month's rent) to the payment of October's rent or refund to [His name] ($700) for taking over the lease, the existing tenant will pay [His name] $300 for taking over the lease

Note:
The agreement above is conditional upon:
1- The formal tenant lease to the end of october is signed with the owner of the building [property manager] anticipated by the end of June.
2-The existing tenant does not sublease to anyone else other then [his name]

[his signature]
[my signature]

----end of contract-----

if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back