Is this legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraza

I had a lawyer that I owed some money to. He made a deal with me if I testified against my current attorney for misconduct he would stop any claim that I owed him money. I did what he asked, he never pursed the attorney and is now, 6 years later coming after me for the money. He has never sent me a bill in 6 years. Is this ethical?

Thank you,

Sara

saraza said:
I had a lawyer that I owed some money to. He made a deal with me if I testified against my current attorney for misconduct he would stop any claim that I owed him money. I did what he asked, he never pursed the attorney and is now, 6 years later coming after me for the money. He has never sent me a bill in 6 years. Is this ethical?
Sara, this conduct is completely unethical on its face. It implies that you were willing to commit perjury in return for monetary payment.

At this point your best defense would seem to be the statute of limitations -- the bill which he claim is outstanding, the breach of your contractual obligation with him, would seem to be long over. Tell him the claim is stale and is barred by the SOL. Let us know what he says! Good luck to you and remember the lesson from your case! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back