IS this LEGAL???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynterhk

My recently widowed brother had some home improvement contractors oitch their services. He needs A LOT of work on his 50 year old house. These "contractors" came over and "made friends" with him--hanging out with him while he put away 5 or 6 beers---My brother is an alcoholic.

AFter they talked fishing and movies with him for more than 2 hours they got him to sign their contract to do a roofing job and some work on his bathroom.

They urged him to waive his 3 day waiting period with the lure that he was going to get a "better deal" if they started immeadialtely. As soon as the ink was dru, they called their crew in that same afternoon and began tearing off his roof.

After my brother sobered up, he realized that this was NOT a good deal and in fact some of the work is shoddy. I told him to have them quit the job---this was into the 4th day or so.

RIght now we are wondering if this was legal to have him "waive" his 3 day right of recission. He DID NOT sign anything to this extent. and this was NOT an emergecy. His roof was not leaking and there was no reason that they had to start immeadiately, except their contract said something to the effect that if the 3 day waiting period was "wavied" they would be able to collect all moneies from the minute they started work.

Can they do this? he was high pressured when he was drunk and they do not have any legal forms with his signature requesting to have his 3 day rights waived.

PLEASE HELP! This is a senior citizen without a lot of financial security.
These are predatory workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back