Is This Discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC9696

We hold a celebrity food show open to the public for a small fee and want to retain the right to deny access or evict people who, in our opinion, are undesirable or obnoxious...including but not limited to former employees. How sketchy is this? Do we have that right or is that discrimination? Any assistance on text for a small sign at the Front Desk?

Of course it's discrimination. But it's not ILLEGAL discrimination unless you are turning people away on the basis of race, religion, national origin or other characteristic protected by law.

Hint: Former employees are NOT a characteristic protected by law.

We had to fire several people after last year's show because they got drunk during show hours, two bashed the show in front of our vendors, one performed a lap dance on an exhibitor (who was newly married and his wife saw) and another went much MUCH further than lapdancing. (Both are married women). We've been warned to expect them to come back and cause trouble. How do we defend ourselves from this situation? I don't want to discriminate but I don't want a repeat of this behavior either.

You're making the common mistake of assuming that all discrimination is illegal. Most discrimination is legal. You discriminate every time you choose chicken over steak or pick the green shirt over the blue one.

You cannot discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, age (over 40 only), veteran status, or a characteristic protected by state or local law. You CAN discriminate on the basis of previous poor behavior.

So a simple sign stating: "We reserve the right to refuse enttrance to anyone" is okay?

BTW...the one former employee who went way too wild is married to an atty. That's why we're being so cautious. Some people view litigation as the new retirement plan. (sigh)

Thanks guys...I am very appreciative of your guidance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back