is this cheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstacyi

hi, I live in California.

I am a college student in community college. just a few days ago when i went to class to take my exams for a class my instructor yanked my study guides out of my hands as I walked into class. she look at them and saw that one of my study guide is a copy of the actual test that we are taking for that exam. She told me she is going to report me to the dean.

anyway, I took both of the test and stayed after class to talk to her and the dean of the department. She told the dean that I was cheating and taking advantage of the test by looking at it first.

I told the dean and the instructor that I have gotten the test from a former student of her form 2-4 semester ago. however the truth is the test was passed on to me from another student whom is in a study session offer by the school. Apparently the instructor whom teaches the study session gives copies of the actual test to the students in there. And of course almost 1/2 of the class has the same copy. So I thought she didn't mind us (students) having a copy. because other students have pulled there copy out to look at during class time too. So when I had it in my hands I didn't think that she would mind as long as I put it away before we take the test.

Also, I should mention, the instructor, 2 weeks prior to taking the test she always gives us a review whereas she reads us the actually questions and answers to the test in the exact order.

when I received the test from other students, the test was blank and I had to fill in the test and find correct answers to the questions that I wasn't sure of or make it make sense to me. technically, I had only used the test as a study guide and not to cheat while taking the test.

she told me that I would get a "0" for the test, in which make me feel unmotivated and disappointed because i really work hard studying for the test. I also feel that it is unfair that others students gets to use it as a study guide and for those whom has taken advantage of the study sessions gets to take advantage of the test. you see I can't go to the study session because the sessions is during my class hours so I can't attend to it.

I want to tell the dean and my instructor the truth, but i don't want to bring other students down with me in getting a "0" for the test too.

should I tell the truth and see if i can get my test score. or should I just take a "0" and maybe get expell from school and say GOOD BYE to me career?

I really can't not afford to get a "B" in the class cause of my major (Nursing) and worst expel.

Tell the truth.

Your credibility is already shot, but tell the truth.

Hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back