Is this bribery, could it be considered bribery?

TheHeater

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
First of all thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this. I'm looking for some specific answers as it relates to what could be considered bribing a public official. I understand these are vague, but in general is it considered offering a bribe if:

1. You offer a campaign contribution in exchange for the opportunity to speak directly to the candidate?

For the first part of my question I'd like an answer to that question just on the surface and then throw in the following twists:

A. Does the topic of the conversation matter?
B. Does it matter if the candidate already holds a public office vs a citizen running for office?
C. Does the size of the contribution matter?
D. If there was no amount discussed first, does that matter.

This is from the perspective of a citizen reaching out to a candidate who already holds a public office wanting to voice his opinion. Can he offer a contribution in exchange for the opportunity to speak with the candidate?

Thanks to anyone who offers an opinion as they are all valuable.

1. No.
A. The topic of the conversation would not turn the situation described in #1 into a bribe. However, it's obviously possible that, during the conversation, a bribe might be offered.
B. No.
C. No.
D. No.

Can he offer a contribution in exchange for the opportunity to speak with the candidate?

Yes.

I appreciate the quick reply. Thank you.

Does anyone have an opinion on how Question 1 could be considered a bribe or on the surface is it just not realistic?

Also, is there a dollar amount that could be offered that changes things? In other words, are there limits to what is considered reasonable?

Thank you again

Does anyone have an opinion on how Question 1 could be considered a bribe or on the surface is it just not realistic?

Also, is there a dollar amount that could be offered that changes things? In other words, are there limits to what is considered reasonable?

Payment of money -- whether it's $1 or $1,000,000 -- for face time with a political candidate is not bribery. If you change the facts or add additional facts, it's certainly possible that it could be construed as such.

In general bribery is giving a public official something of value in exchange for him or her to take some official action. For example, paying a city council member $1,000 in exchange for a favorable vote on your zoning variance would be a classic case of bribery.

Making a campaign contribution just to get time to talk to an elected official isn't a crime. Lobbyists do that all the time. But depending on what the conversation is when they meet, it's possible that bribery related offense might occur e.g. making arrangements to pay the elected official to do something official favorable to you.

Back