Is this a fair settlement???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArielG

I live in Austin, Texas. Me and my mom were in her car on April 5 when we were rear ended. The woman was determined to be at fault. Immediately after the wreck I had a terrible headache so we went to the hospital. They ran CAT scans of my head and neck, and determined I had no broken bones, but soft tissue damage.

In the months proceeding the wreck I have been going to a chiropractic/massage therapist and seeing my family doctor. According to my health insurance company's itemized statement I accumulated around $13,000 in medical bills. They are asking the auto insurance adjuster to reimburse them the $2,132 they paid on my behalf.

Not only has contacting the travelers insurance adjuster been a huge pain, but she seems unconcerned about the fact that I have been having frequent headaches, and even had to drop a college class due to my painful recovery.

The adjuster offered me $1,500 for pain and suffering along with the amount to pay my health insurance company.

Is this a fair amount or should I go through the hassle of finding a lawyer? What kind of factors determine a settlement amount in a case like mine?

-Ariel

Are you going to be responsible for the remainder of the medical bills? If you can find an attorney to take the case he will probably want 40% of any settlement. Without an attorney you are probably going to be limited to suing in small claims so you can check to see what that limit is. If you settle you get the money now. If you sue it could be a long time depending on the courts in your state.

Only you are in a position to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back