Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Is there a criminal charge for this..?

Jango00

Jurisdiction
Indiana
To keep it relatively vague, I work in a residential treatment facility for children and youth. I am quitting soon and move on to different work, and a 16yr old that is currently in my secure-unit that is being transferred to our open-unit very soon continues to try to bribe me to buy him a cell phone, which is against our campus policy for residents to have a cell phone(heavily enforced). This specific youth is on probation and spending time at our facility to avoid DOC (real prison). His mother has sent money to another staff a few times in the past to give it to him "under the radar", and he has offered that plus additional money that his mother would send to me (and has agreed to). Stupid. But tempting.

If I accepted her money, bought him a phone, bought service for 1 month via pre paid, what legal concerns are plausible? If any?

If I accepted her money, bought him a phone, bought service for 1 month via pre paid, what legal concerns are plausible? If any?

At a minimum you could face prosecution for violating Indiana Code § 35-46-7-3, which requires that any gift, donation, loan, or investment made by a person receiving medical care or treatment to an employee of the care provider must be done in writing and signed by two disinterested persons. In short, you can't do this "under the radar." If you do it and don't get the signed statement describing the transaction and signed off by the two disinterested witnesses you commit a Class A infraction. There might be other criminal penalties that would apply as well; I didn't do an exhaustive search of the law on this. You can ask a local attorney to do that for you (though that will cost you some money in fees).

What you're describing would not be a crime. If you were caught, you'd likely be fired and have a stain on your employment record for a long time.

At a minimum you could face prosecution for violating Indiana Code § 35-46-7-3, which requires that any gift, donation, loan, or investment made by a person receiving medical care or treatment to an employee of the care provider must be done in writing and signed by two disinterested persons.

I disagree. What the OP is describing is not a gift, a donation, a loan or an investment. The OP is describing a transaction by which the OP would provide a service to the patient in exchange for a fee.

a 16yr old that is currently in my secure-unit that is being transferred to our open-unit very soon continues to try to bribe me to buy him a cell phone, which is against our campus policy for residents to have a cell phone(heavily enforced).

Bribe, the OP claims the miscreant youth is trying to bribe him.

Is the OP employed by an agency of the gubmint?

I believe bribing a gubmint employee to commit an illicit act just might be a crime.

What you're describing would not be a crime. If you were caught, you'd likely be fired and have a stain on your employment record for a long time.

I disagree. What the OP is describing is not a gift, a donation, a loan or an investment. The OP is describing a transaction by which the OP would provide a service to the patient in exchange for a fee.
The "patient" in question was placed in the facility by a court. This is not a normal "patient" in that the patient is "incarcerated" (perhaps not precisely, but effectively) at the facility and likely has specific court-ordered restrictions that other "patients" may not have.

The "patient" in question was placed in the facility by a court. This is not a normal "patient" in that the patient is "incarcerated" (perhaps not precisely, but effectively) at the facility and likely has specific court-ordered restrictions that other "patients" may not have.

Your point being?

If I accepted her money, bought him a phone, bought service for 1 month via pre paid, what legal concerns are plausible?

Why would you even THINK or PONDER if criminal charges could be brought against you?

Report the conversations to your management, ASAP.

You KNOW your employer's policy, adhere to it.

Your employer forbids it, don't consider it.

Maybe, but it won't be the statute that was previously cited.
My reply was in response to your statement to the OP that his scenario "... would not be a crime". I was simply pointing out that it might be a crime and that we simply don't have enough information to know if it would be. Your reference to the statute previously cited was made after your categorical statement to the OP and was directed at a different poster.

Thank you for acknowledging your error.

To keep it relatively vague, I work in a residential treatment facility for children and youth. I am quitting soon and move on to different work, and a 16yr old that is currently in my secure-unit that is being transferred to our open-unit very soon continues to try to bribe me to buy him a cell phone, which is against our campus policy for residents to have a cell phone(heavily enforced). This specific youth is on probation and spending time at our facility to avoid DOC (real prison). His mother has sent money to another staff a few times in the past to give it to him "under the radar", and he has offered that plus additional money that his mother would send to me (and has agreed to). Stupid. But tempting.

Why would you even contemplate it? You know it's wrong. Smh.

Back