Is the title company responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeriv0617

I live in Florida. My ex husband recently sold our marital home and contemptuously witheld my share of the proceeds (half). I have taken legal action against him...so that is not my issue. However, I called the title company today because I discovered that he had lied on the continuous marital affidavit and had not disclosed that I had ever held title to the house. They agreed that he had indeed lied, and they verified my claim though research of their own. All I wanted was a letter from them verifying his deception. Well, the agent who actually handled the sale called me back and told me that at the time of the sale the person researching the title had MISSED the records documenting my previous ownership of the home, and therefore I have a claim against the title company. She told me to contact the claim department, give them the same info I gave her, and she gave me file number. She then told me that the title company would issue me a check for the amount I was legally entitled to by the court order (half of the proceeds), and they would then go after my ex to recover the money from him.
This sounds WAY too easy. Am I missing something? Why would the title company volunteer to pay a $50,000 claim? If I do this will I be releasing my ex from the contempt charge I have filed against him, or will I be giving up any other rights I may not know about?

This is the way it is supposed to work. You will be giving up any claim against your ex but you can smile all the way to the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back