Is the McDonald's McRib Real Food?

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Other

MCRIB PORK PATTY
1) Pork: At conception, in 1981, the McRib patty was believed to be made from restructured meat products like pork heart, tripe and scalded stomach. Nowadays, McDonald's says the faux ribs are composed primarily of ground pork shoulder. While I can't speak directly to the quality of McDonald's meat, in 2012, they pressured their pork supplier to stop using inhumane gestation crates, which is a small step in the right direction.

2) Water: Everyone likes their pork extra wet, right?

3) Salt: In total, a McRib contains 890 milligrams of sodium, or 39 percent of your daily recommended intake. This is a decent amount, especially if you go for fries, too.

4) Dextrose: Dextrose is a sugar derived from starches, like corn, and is chemically identical to glucose, or blood sugar. Fun fact: Dextrose has an especially high glycemic index, meaning it quickly raises blood sugar levels, so it's used in IV solutions to treat low blood sugar and dehydration. People with diabetes might also consume dextrose tablets to raise their blood sugar levels if they become dangerously low. Because of this blood-sugar-boosting effect, consuming dextrose also provides an almost immediate jolt of energy — and then an inevitable crash.

5) Rosemary Extract: In addition to providing flavor, rosemary extract has natural preservative and antioxidant properties that can slow the deterioration of food.

McRib is actually made of restructured meat, even though it's shaped like a real rib. The patty used in the McRib sandwich back in the day was made of composed ground pork shoulder. One Twitter handle that goes by the name 'Strange and Amazing Facts' shared that the McRib is made of meat products including heart, tripe and more.

Despite the name, the McRib is not made from rib meat. It's made of restructured meat products like heart, tripe, and scalded stomach.

=================

McDonald's is once again promoting a "farewell tour" for the McRib sandwich.

The seasonal offering, which since its introduction in 1981 has periodically disappeared from the fast food giant's menu, is making one more appearance at McDonald's locations nationwide.

The sandwich will be available starting October 31, and McDonald's has released promotional materials encouraging customers to "enjoy our famous pork sandwich as if it's your last!"

Indeed, the burger chain is hoping that love for the sandwich — which includes a McRib pork patty, bun, barbecue sauce, pickles and onions — will be strong enough to get customers to pay for limited-edition McRib merch, which it will sell on its website Golden Arches Unlimited during the McRib's "final" run.

"Like any true farewell tour, we're hoping this isn't a 'goodbye' but a 'see you later.,'" McDonald's says in its press release. "Because as our McRib stans have experienced time and time again: you never know when — or if — the McRib is coming back."

It's a strategy that's designed to create a sense of urgency for customers, according to Vanderbilt University marketing professor Kelly Goldsmith.

"McDonald's is leaning hard on the scarcity marketing tactics right now," Goldsmith says. "We see it with the McRib, we see it with their adult Happy Meals which had limited-edition toys. McDonald's is putting scarcity marketing everywhere they possibly can."

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/26/mcdonalds-mcrib-is-being-discontinued.html

Q: Is the McDonald's McRib Real Food?

As phrased, the answer is yes.

Q: Is the McDonald's McRib Real Food?

As phrased, the answer is yes.

After doing a little research, I'd have to say no.

I'm only speaking for myself, I'm not preaching or trying to convert others.

I've never had a McRib.
My dad loved them.
Their odor alone satiated my hunger.

During our recent Covid lockdowns my taste for all fast food disappeared.

Bottom line, I'd have to be starving eat a McRib.

For all those who disagree, consider my McRib shunning as a gift of love.

How's that you ask?

My sacrifice allows true McRib lovers another serving of a food you crave.

No need to thank me, I'm doing it all for you. :D

AJ - I'm with you except I never had a craving for the things at all. My wife loves them. To me, they are "food" only in the definitional sense ;)

It's real food. But that doesn't make it good for you or necessarily tasty to eat. Lots of food that we consume is not all that healthy. And people have differing views on what tastes good or is palatable. In some parts of the world eating some insects is a delicacy. But I think I'll pass on the chocolate covered ants....

As for the McRib, I liked them the first time I had one many years ago. But the next time had one some years later, it wasn't very good. I don't know if the preparation had changed or just my tastes had changed. But if I go to McD's at all, I'll go for what they are best known for: their burgers.

Back