Is selling a used car to a minor with a license illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

germex

About a week ago, my wife and I had sold our Ford to someone. This person showed up with another individual who he said, "Knew about cars". After a test drive and a careful look over of the vehicle he decided to make the purchase. My wife had the vehicle looked at by a mechanic to make sure it was o.k. to sell. They looked it over and gave it the green light. After a week, the buyer returned, along with his mother, saying that the Ford was in terrible shape and that, according to their mechanic, had a number of problems and should have never been bought. Apparently the buyer was 16 years of age, which we did not know because he looked to be in his early 20's and arrived in another SUV that he himself was driving. The vehicle was purchased in cash, the title was accepted on the spot, and we made the buyer aware of all that we knew to be wrong with it, which wasn't much. The mother told us that we had no right to sell to a minor even if said minor had a license. Does she have a legal precedent to sue over this? Did we unknowingly do something illegal?

Yes, the boy's mother is correct.
You should return the money in full.
A minor can not legally enter into a contract.
The law is very clear on this.
The minor can simply (or his guardian) invoke his legal right to void the transaction.
If you don't return his money, mom will sue you in small
claims.

Avoid the trouble and embarrassment, you'll flat out lose.

Your argument as to what he appeared to be is akin to
saying, "But judge, she said she was 21. How was I to know she was only 16?"

There is no valid defense available to you.

I'm not so sure about that.

This is a used car that was purchased and cash was paid. There is no contract involved. The sale of this car is not really any different than any other smaller purchase the minor might make.

Personally, I don't think you need to return anything. The deal is done and the kid can work things out with his parents.

To be certain, contact your state agency for vehicle registration and see what they have to say about it. Be sure to distinguish that it was a used car and there was no contract signed- it was a cash sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back