Is my son's college breaching a contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrivera

My son is a grad student at a state college. After 2 semesters, he had to suddenly take a leave for 2 semesters due to illness. They let him back in and now, after 2 more semesters, he is still unable to find any professor in his dept to take him in. They have taken in students more recently admitted than my son. To get his MS, he must do research with a professor and write a thesis. When he complains to the dept chair, she just shrugs and says there's nothing they could do. In the meantime, they have no problem accepting the sizable tuition checks we are writing 3 times a year. Doesn't the school, having accepted him to grad school, have an obligation to make sure he progresses towards his degree? Either that or expel him if he isn't up to snuff. I believe the school isn't acting in good faith by stringing him along like this and they are in breach of contract.

Do I have a legal case?

YOU do not have any kind of case at all. If anyone does, it's your son. I assume that since he's in grad school, he is over 18 and a legal adult.

Of course I meant it that way. Pardon my bad syntax. Does HE have a case?

Doubtful, if he's the one that has two DUI's!!

I suspect the university knows what he was doing in that year he was, ahem, "ill"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back