Is Lawyer taking too long to settle estate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMASS

First of all this is in New York State and we all live here.
I My Mom passed in 1999 with no will. My Father passed in 2004 with a will. Estate consisted of real estate (3 parcels less than $100,000 in value) and bank accounts (less than $75,000). There are five children all over 21. No-one is contesting the will. One parcel goes to me which is my home. One parcel goes to two of my brothers and a sister. The other parcel goes to two of my brothers. (one brother is in on two parcels). The bank accounts are to be divided between the five children. My Mom also had some stocks under $2000 with no beneficiary.
I have two questions:
#1 This has been in the Lawyers hands for four years now. Is this normal to take this long or should I be complaining to somebody?
#2 Should the estate be paying the real estate taxes on the parcels of land until the estate is settled or should the ones that inherited the land be paying them? I have been paying the taxes on my parcel because I live there.
Sorry for the long post!!

Sure, you can complain to the stat bar lol. The country club for shyster.

Sue his/her ass for malpractice. This should have been taken care of in about 90 days. What a dirt bag, but typical of all lawyers.

Can I initiate legal action on my own behalf even though I am not the executor of the estate or do the five siblings all have to agree on doing it?

You can file a lawsuit if you were damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back