Is landlord release of my personal information illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anneran

About a month ago I asked to break my current lease three months early (in February of 2010 instead of May 2010) so I could move out of state. The owner of the building/management company agreed on the condition of them finding a tenant to replace me. A few weeks later they sent me an email saying that because I was breaking the lease early, I would be responsible for any broker fees they incurred. About a week ago I started receiving many phone calls from unrecognizable numbers. As I don't usually answer numbers I don't recognize, I didn't answer them. Three days ago I finally answered one and it was a realtor. The realtor was asking if the apartment was still available to rent. I was extremely confused as to how the realtor got my name and phone number and after a few moments hesitation I told the realtor that I was the tenant, not the manager or landlord. There was a pause and then the realtor said, "oh. The facts sheet I have makes it look as if you're the one to contact." My management company provided my name, phone number, and email address to all brokers that received information sheets. What I need to know is:

1. Was my landlord/owner in the right? Are they able to give out my personal information (name, phone number, email) without my consent?
2. Is it a common thing to charge an existing tenant the broker fees when breaking a lease?
3. If their actions were illegal, does this give me some sort of ground to have the fees eliminated?

All advice is appreciated. Thank you.

1.Yes. You do realize, don't you, that because you broke the lease you could certainly be held responsible for the remaining months on the lease until another tenant was found.

2. Yes.

3. No.

Gail

Gail I am/was completely aware that breaking my lease could result in being held liable for the rest of the lease if a new tenant was not found. I was however, unaware that a landlord could release personal information to brokers without my consent. But thank you for clearing that up for me.

Sounds like management might have put the information down on the wrong line. Calling them up and letting them know this may clear it up and stop those phone calls from brokers.

Gail

The information released is not confidential information. There was nothing wrong with the landlord putting the burden on you to find a new tenant. It would have been nice if they clarified that they were going to have realtors contact you directly... but nothing illegal about what they did.
As was said- you have to find a new tenant, and any advertising/broker fees associated with it are your responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back