Is it possible to sue college for student loans under negligence?

T

tedler

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Hello,

I would like to know if I have any possibility of winning a case if I sue my old University.

I attended the school for 2 years and a majority of my student loans are through them, due to their high sticker price. While I attended I became severely depressed and suicidal and was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and general anxiety. My depression got to the point I could not attend classes, and my health deteriorated (I got swine flu, mono, etc). My school knew ( i spoke with the dean of students on a weekly basis) to what extent I was at, and knew i had attempted suicide multiple times in my dorm. I discussed leaving school and focusing on myself but the dean and the on site nurse encouraged me to stay in classes and tried me on different drugs and therapies. I eventually ended up suspended for a semester due to my bad grades and even then they encouraged me to return after the semester (which I did) since i really wanted to get a degree so i could get a job some day. It did not get better once i was back. I rented a single bedroom from the school at the top of an all girls dorm, and after a few weeks back i had already become more isolated and depressed. I ended up getting expelled at the end of that year (again for bad grades) since I could not bring myself to leave my room or study.
My teachers were aware of the situation, the school doctors, the dean of students, they all knew and continued to encourage me to come back and even accepted my petition to return from the suspension.

I did eventually graduate from college but only after I took a year off and focused on my mental and physical health and went to a college that allowed me to live at home where i received the support i needed.
Had the college not encouraged me to come back or spoken with my family (i was under 18 my first year) and told them i would not succeed there as it was I would not have taken out of $20k in loans to attend.

Is there anyway i can get those loans removed since I did not receive anything from that school ( i had to retake every single class after my mental sabbatical as i failed everything there), and they were fully aware of my mental distress and still encourage/allowed me to take out loans and attend classes which they were fully aware I would not pass.

Thank you.

I very seriously doubt it. Even if they encouraged you to take out the loans, you/your family did make the final decision to do so. I don't see where there is anything you can do.

Is there anyway i can get those loans removed since I did not receive anything from that school ( i had to retake every single class after my mental sabbatical as i failed everything there), and they were fully aware of my mental distress and still encourage/allowed me to take out loans and attend classes which they were fully aware I would not pass.

Snowball's chance in you know where.

You are kidding, right? Your mental health issues are the school's fault?? You told them you really wanted to finish your degree so they did what they could to encourage you to continue on that path. When you flunked out and petitioned to come back, they did exactly what you asked them to do. Deans are not medical doctors nor psychiatrists. If you need psychiatric care it is up to you as an adult to get it. It would have been highly inappropriate, not to mention borderline illegal to blatantly illegal to contact your parents about your mental health and or grades. That is your responsibility and yours alone. I don't know where they were or what they did during this time, but while they had no legal obligation to get you help after 18, they were certainly in a better position to encourage you to get the help you needed. The school health clinic nurse is just not able to treat mental illness.

Back