Is It LEGAL to Run Vehicle License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristian19

Hello,

My question "Is It Legal to Run Vehicle License Plates" just maybe a stupid question or one that throws up RED FLAGS but one I am asking. I see there are web sites that offer this service but that does not mean I should use them or maybe I should only use specific sites offering this service. I just do not know. The few people I have verbally asked all stated ONLY law enforcement can run a plate. I see plates to be public knowledge so I am not buying that answer. Reason why I am here.

Information wanted when running a plate:
- Registration Address
- Registration Owner
- Registration Validity
- Do not believe any other information would be needed.

Below you will find WHY I am asking this question. I am totally new to this forum and was not sure if there is a better place to pose this question, hence, my question is here.

Background:
I am new to Board of Condominium Complex where I own unit. I was nominated by non board unit owners as they felt I would do some shaking up of current board and management. I am in Information Technology field and not law.

Situation:
Condominium has ten unit owners who have not made HOA payments from many months to many years. In total Condo is due $56,000 plus dollars in back monies. Board and Management have not made any REAL attempt to cease this practice and have allowed it to go on. Quit a few of these same unit owners have multiple cars and are seen driving away and driving back each day as if they are going to work.

Condo has policies in place that state unit owner's in arrears lose their parking privilege's to their assigned parking spot AND to parking on condo grounds.

Examples of why running plates:
- Unit 227 had/has a MB 350 on file with condo management as of 2009 with license plate ABC 123. I see a MB 350 parked right outside unit 227 in non reserved parking spot with license plate XYZ 789. I/Board want to run plate to see if this vehicle is (1) registered to unit owner and (2) registered to unit 227. If vehicle is registered to unit 227 and or unit owner I/Board would contact Condo's Towing company to Hook & Book.

- There is also a good chance other unit owners also in arrears have cars NOT registered with management but yet vehicles are registered to their unit. Towing would also be applied to these situations as well.

- There was a vehicle parked on third street within condo grounds for more than six months with ONE plate displaying valid registration. NYS requires two plates. Turned out non board member unit owner who complained IS LE and when they ran plate determined this particular vehicle was in an accident and had surrendered one plate claiming second was stolen. Being able to run a plate would have been powerful if LE did not.

Any help you can shine on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Tristian19

Last edited:
It isn't illegal to run the plates.
You'll be asked why when you do it.
Your reasons are one of the options given, to collect a debt, on some sites.

The towing of vehicles will potentially cause your board many problems.
Legally you can do it, but its fraught with legal disputes.
Make sure your towing firm is bonded, insured, licensed, and not aggressive.
Before you head down that route, seek the guidance of your attorney.
It might be good to meet with your owners/members.
Lastly, you must inform everyone before you start, otherwise they'll howl.

Last edited:
It would be better to require all vehicles be registered with the board with permits and all visitors vehicles have temp permits issued to the person they are visiting. Anythng without a permit gets towed.

It would be better to require all vehicles be registered with the board with permits and all visitors vehicles have temp permits issued to the person they are visiting. Anythng without a permit gets towed.

I totally agree with you. That is just one of many suggestions I have made at board meetings. I am dealing with board members who, I believe, have fallen extremely lax. Parking stickers such as what you suggest is also underway. Unfortunately, most of these board members move beyond extremely slow.

Thank you for your thoughts.

It isn't illegal to run the plates.
You'll be asked why when you do it.
Your reasons are one of the options given, to collect a debt, on some sites.

The towing of vehicles will potentially cause your board many problems.
Legally you can do it, but its fraught with legal disputes.
Make sure your towing firm is bonded, insured, licensed, and not aggressive.
Before you head down that route, seek the guidance of your attorney.
It might be good to meet with your owners/members.
Lastly, you must inform everyone before you start, otherwise they'll howl.

Duly noted.

Towing company we currently use is very well known in our community for being legitimate. Yes, they are bonded, insured and licensed and non aggressive. They work with local law enforcement with clearing accidents for example. They also work in two man teams in situations such as this where one videos vehicle before, during and after towing vehicle. They also perform NON metal contact during towing.

Lastly, letters will be mailed to unit owners in arrears notifying them their vehicles will be towed and why. Additional letters will be mailed to ALL unit owners making them aware NOT to park within specific assigned spots as they will be towed at their expense. Reason for WHY will not be made as to not allow unit owners in arrears any recourse if that makes sense.

Thank you for your thought.

Duly noted.

Lastly, letters will be mailed to unit owners in arrears notifying them their vehicles will be towed and why. Additional letters will be mailed to ALL unit owners making them aware NOT to park within specific assigned spots as they will be towed at their expense. Reason for WHY will not be made as to not allow unit owners in arrears any recourse if that makes sense.

Thank you for your thought.

You're welcome.

I suggest you discuss ALL of this with your association's attorneys before proceeding.
If you don't, there could be serious legal ramifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back