Is it defamation or opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spunky

I went onto a website that allowed you to anonymously post reviews of apartments. In one of the replies to my posting, the person used my real name. The only way they could have even known who I was is that it must have been an office staff that knew of the situations I described. In the reply, this person went on to say that I was always late on my rent, which is untrue, and that I was a lonely crazy lady who should move.

I was very shocked and outraged by this public response that included my full name. I posted on this site with the thought of having some amenity, but now anyone who reads it will have my name. I used only first names in my posting as did many others. None of the other replies to postings were so personally attacking or used actual full names.

Is this considered defamation, liable, opinion, or none of the above? Is there anything I can do about this? Can I get the site to remove the reply or at least my name?

Is it possible that another person with the same name may have posted?

In this instance there would be no defamation case because it is not a false statement about you. It might be another cause of action. You should write to the site's webmaster and see what they can do, perhaps change the user name.

I went onto a website that allowed you to anonymously post reviews of apartments. In one of the replies to my posting, the person used my real name. The only way they could have even known who I was is that it must have been an office staff that knew of the situations I described. In the reply, this person went on to say that I was always late on my rent, which is untrue, and that I was a lonely crazy lady who should move.

I was very shocked and outraged by this public response that included my full name. I posted on this site with the thought of having some amenity, but now anyone who reads it will have my name. I used only first names in my posting as did many others. None of the other replies to postings were so personally attacking or used actual full names.

Is this considered defamation, liable, opinion, or none of the above? Is there anything I can do about this? Can I get the site to remove the reply or at least my name?

In the reply, this person went on to say that I was always late on my rent, which is untrue, and that I was a lonely crazy lady who should move.

If you do not suffer from a mental disease or defect, calling you "crazy" may possibly be defamatory.

However, as loosely as that term is used today, it is almost meaningless.

Ask the webmaster to remove the post.

Just some thoughts; we really don't have enough facts to decide anything right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back