Is Emancipation Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomy88

Ok so I'm 16 years old and I have simply reached a point in my life where I no longer feel my parents influence in my life is a posative one. There has not been any physical abuse however my mother is verbally abusive and my parents relationship is really messed up. They are still married and not legally seperated but my father lives in illinois and my mother lives in michigan and they are on the brink of divorce. This has created a hostile situation for me in that I am bearing witness to all their problems and my mother has become even more verbally abusive saying that I'm gonna kill her because of who I am and that she hates me so on and so forth. Beyond that she is also trying to pull me out of a school for gifted students which I live at and attend the majority of the year. I'm a good student with very solid grades, I'm and active athlete, and after living away from my parents last year I feel that it is immesurably better for my development to be alone. As for financial issues, that isnt a problem due to a small fortune which i have amassed working as a pre-teen/teenager in other words I have more than enough money to support myself. So I'm just wondering if I have a case?

With the verbal abuse you may have a case. You have to be able to work and still go to school.
It usually costs anywhere from $1500 to $3000 to hire a lawyer.
Rent can be anywhere from $400 to $800 a month for an apartment depending on where you live. Power $70 ish, Phone $40 ish, Water $40 ish, Car $200 to $300 (unless you own a car already), car insurance $70 ish, gas $???, Health insurance for yourself $70 ish ( and if you don't have health insurance and have to go to the hospital or doctor for tests the bills are usually in the thousands of dollars). I haven't included food costs but they are rising every day.
You didn't mention whether your father was being verbally abusive or whether it would be possible for you to live with him until you are 18. At 16 years old you could tell the court you want to live with him because of her verbal abuse. That's just a possiblity you could think about. Also if you have any other relatives that would take you in for 2 years could be a possiblity too. Did the verbal abuse start when your parents split up? If it did, your mom might be suffering from depression or is just mad and upset at him and taking it out on you. She shouldn't do that though. Have you discussed any of this with your Dad? You need to look at every possiblity and get a consultation with a lawyer(sometimes they are free) and ask if her verbal abuse is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back