is emancipation a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tearless27

My jurisdiction is: tx/ usa

I am 15, 16 is 5 months, and my mother was a drug addict for 18 years. She established a clean date 2 years ago, but relapsed 3 months ago. She continues to smoke pot and drink alcohol chronically. She brings to our home, quite often, men that are not adequate to be in a home with a 15 year old.

I know a family that went to church with me all my life; they now live in Norman, Oklahoma. And if I got emancipated, that is who I would be going to live with. The father in the family owns a franchised Wing-Stop, and the whole family works there, he tells me that I would be guaranteed a job there. I would finish my high school career in the high school there, for I do have college plans.

I just would like to know if I did file for emancipation, would the basis of my situation be considered for approval. Or is emancipation even a good idea?
it would be the only way I see fit to remove myself from the unstable household that my mother has put me in.

emancipation is VERY hard to get and and 15 you might be even too young to apply for it. You have to be totally self supporting along with a whole slew of other requirements. It is difficult. You can google emancipation laws in texas and see what you find. Where is your Dad? Is he involved in your life at all?You cannot get emancipated just because you do not like your home life. You would be better off calling a relative and perhaps asking them to file for custody of you.

In Texas, you cannot be emancipated at 15, and you can only be emancipated at 16 if you are ALREADY living away from home.

wow.. so what do you suggest i do?
i cannot live in a home where i feel unsafe, thats not right.
me and my mother share a room, we live with her mother and her brother. is a three bedroom house.
my school work has been effected. how can i get out?
my father lives in hurst, tx. he cant support me either, he works nights, not making enough to support himself, he lives with his mother..

You can move in with your friends IF (AND ONLY IF) your mother gives you permission. Have you asked her?

i did that for a while, i lived with my best friend for two weeks, but my mother told me that i had to come home after that.. i broke cerfew a few days ago and spent the night a a friends house, and my mother texted me and asked me why i didnt want to come home, i told her that i can be in that house much longer, that she is hurting me with the things that she does, and that she is putting me in danger with the people that she brings home. she just said that shes grown and she can do what she wants, and that even if im hurting, i needed to come home... it only proves to me that my mother does not have my best interest in mind...

i talked to an adminestrator at my school, she deals with legal matters and stuff, and she said that at 17, i could legally move out, i could go up to oklahoma with the family that opened their arms to me, and the only things that my mother could do is file a missing persons report, that the law cant make me come home.. is that true?

Yes and no.

There is a loophole in the law of a couple of states, and I believe Texas is one of them, that makes it difficult, BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE, for a parent to make a 17 year old who moves out, return home. However, you cannot LEGALLY leave home without permission until 18.

What did child protection services tell you when you talked to them?

I just left you a very long message on the other forum where you have this question posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back