Is business card information a secret? Mobile apps?

Rasht Anzali

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Hi,
I have few questions regarding the business card's information:
- When I find out somebody presents inaccurate information on business card, and the information is harming other people's business, what can I do? Can I accuse the person or the company for spreading wrong information?

- I am using an app on my cellphone which scans the business cards and put the information in my phone's contacts list. Is it illegal to scan all the business cards that I find everywhere? Is there any prohibition regarding the usage of business card information? For example, 7 years ago I was working in a company in Europe, I have the business card scanned in my phone and contacts, if I use it now for my new same business purposes, will I get in trouble?

When I find out somebody presents inaccurate information on business card

What information is inaccurate?

and the information is harming other people's business,

How is it harming other people's business?

what can I do?

About what?

Can I accuse the person or the company for spreading wrong information?

Sure.

And you can accuse me of spreading wrong information here.

What good do you think either will do? Answer: Zero.

I am using an app on my cellphone which scans the business cards and put the information in my phone's contacts list. Is it illegal to scan all the business cards that I find everywhere? Is there any prohibition regarding the usage of business card information? For example, 7 years ago I was working in a company in Europe, I have the business card scanned in my phone and contacts, if I use it now for my new same business purposes, will I get in trouble?

You're already being sued by a former employer.

No agreement but under lawsuit

You want to try for two?

When I find out somebody presents inaccurate information on business card, and the information is harming other people's business, what can I do?

I think it's safe to speculate that there are dozens -- maybe even hundreds -- of things that you can do. Forming an intelligent opinion about what things might be most appropriate would obviously require knowing all of the relevant facts.

Can I accuse the person or the company for spreading wrong information?

I have no reason to think you lack this ability.

I am using an app on my cellphone which scans the business cards and put the information in my phone's contacts list. Is it illegal to scan all the business cards that I find everywhere?

Why would you think this might not be legal? I suppose it depends on where and how you "find" the cards, but the actual act of scanning a business card would almost certainly not be illegal.

Is there any prohibition regarding the usage of business card information?

Depends on the nature of the information and how you came into possession of it, but generally not.

For example, 7 years ago I was working in a company in Europe, I have the business card scanned in my phone and contacts, if I use it now for my new same business purposes, will I get in trouble?

Even if I knew what you meant by "get in trouble," without any relevant facts, all anyone can intelligently tell you is that, in the abstract, just about anything is possible.

For instance, you are an assistant dentist, but your business card says you are a dentist.

Isn't an "assistant dentist" still a dentist? Or are you talking about a dental assistant (i.e., a person who is not a dentist and whose job it is to assist a dentist)?

Simply you are stilling other dentists' patients.

No law in any state prevents dentists from competing with each other.

Back