Is a volunteer liable for a nonprofits debt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joy_2001

I volunteered from 2008 to late 2010 at a community outreach 501c3 in Colorado. Among other services, they provided low cost drug testing. Sometimes when the nonprofit was low on money, my husband and I paid some of its bills as a donation to keep the doors open, including the lab bill.

In 2010 I discovered the director was mismanaging funds. I told board members who said they would handle it. but after that I donated time but not money. Severeal times the director said she had cash to pay bills but couldn't put it in the nonprofits checking acct because it was overdrawn. She asked if I would send a check to pay it if she gave me the cash. Since she was giving me the cash to cover the check I agreed. I left about a year ago and later found out the nonprofit was evicted and shut down.

Last week I was contacted by an attorney for the drug testing lab saying I owed them almost $600 for the nonprofits outstanding bill. I explained what had happened but they said that no volunteer would do what I did and are turning me over to collection. Can they do that? I was not on the Board of Directors, couldn't sign legal documents or anything like that. I coordinated volunteers and assisted people...I was just a volunteer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back