Is a Florida Will from Mentally Impaired legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

standyson

I am a Uk citizen & my Cousin lived in Florida. We had always had a loving & caring relationship throughout the years and I have all the letters to prove it. She made two Wills in 1996 & 1999 and I was principle beneficiary in both. In 2000 she started to repeat conversations in our 'phone calls. This was the start of Alzheimers Disease. In her many letters she complained about confusion & forgetfullness. In 2001 the USA Alzheimers Association contacted me on in the UK on 2 separate occasions because they were worried about her. They wanted me, under power of Attorney, to have her admitted into care. I refused, but I emailed her Lawyer who had made out the Will and advised him of her Alzheimers problem, which he acknowledged on 12 September 2001. The mental debility progressed rapidly to the point of the last 'phone call I made to her on 27 July 2002 when, despite me being family, she was unsure of who I was.

She was placed into a Alheimers Care Home and died one month ago in Sept 2006. After contacting the Lawyer he informed me that my Cousin had changed her Will in November 2002 leaving her Estate to her odd job builder and a friend.

I took legal advice from my insurers in the UK and they said that they have no Juridiction in Florida, but that given the advanced Alzheimers and obvious mental impairment it would be deemed to be illegal in England and the new Will would be declared invalid. The Lawyer who made the new Will was aware of my Cousins Alzheimers condition when he formulated in Nov. 2002 by virtue of the email I had sent him in Sept 2001. Also the Alzheimers Assoc. had made contact with him.

Does Florida State Law allow a new Will to be produced from such a mentally impaired person changing the beneficiary from family member to odd job builder and friend? Would you class this Will as invalid?

I would very much appreciate your advice on this subject.

Thanks & regards,

You need to hire a Florida lawyer to contest this will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back