1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

is a blanket letter legal in califorina Other Debt

Discussion in 'Other Debt, Collection, Garnishment' started by WILLIAM MERRILL, Jun 13, 2021.

1. WILLIAM MERRILL

WILLIAM MERRILL Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    i am getting threating phone calls saying the sheriff's gonna show i'm going to jail on and on. i know there breaking laws. i do have a witness to this as well. i am wondering if it's legal to send a blanket letter saying that your recording every phone call between you and the collector??

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Read the FDCPA. There are remedies.

Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (ftc.gov)

No. You need specific consent for each conversation. See CA Penal Code section 632.

Law section (ca.gov)

When you get the call say something like "Do I have your consent to record this conversation?" If the answer is "no" just hang up.

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Receiving from whom?

Except for communicating certain threats and proposals to commit criminal activity, you are legally free to send any letter you want to anyone you want.

If your intent was to ask a different question regarding the legality of recording phone calls, the prior response has covered that.