Other Debt is a blanket letter legal in califorina

WILLIAM MERRILL

Jurisdiction
California
i am getting threating phone calls saying the sheriff's gonna show i'm going to jail on and on. i know there breaking laws. i do have a witness to this as well. i am wondering if it's legal to send a blanket letter saying that your recording every phone call between you and the collector??

i am getting threating phone calls saying the sheriff's gonna show i'm going to jail on and on. i know there breaking laws. i do have a witness to this as well.

Read the FDCPA. There are remedies.

Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (ftc.gov)

i am wondering if it's legal to send a blanket letter saying that your recording every phone call between you and the collector??

No. You need specific consent for each conversation. See CA Penal Code section 632.

Law section (ca.gov)

When you get the call say something like "Do I have your consent to record this conversation?" If the answer is "no" just hang up.

i am getting threating phone calls

Receiving from whom?

i am wondering if it's legal to send a blanket letter saying that your recording every phone call between you and the collector?

Except for communicating certain threats and proposals to commit criminal activity, you are legally free to send any letter you want to anyone you want.

If your intent was to ask a different question regarding the legality of recording phone calls, the prior response has covered that.

Back